Author Topic: William Solen and Margaret Bouchard  (Read 18973 times)

Offline Amberglow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is He?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 13 June 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
MARRIAGE  - Sep Qtr 1850  - Hackney -  9 on the FREEBMD page
There are five (5) brides
One of them is Margaret BOUCHARD

Cheers
AMBLY

Hi Ambly,  I have checked these records and there is no cross-reference for William with the same record so this is not my Margaret Bouchard.  Marriages always have to cross-reference with same details.

Thanks any.

Amber

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Amber  ;D

My thinking was: there are too many people on that one reference - there should only be 8.  Someone doesn't belong there and since there are 5 women listed it must be one of the 5 brides. ie: Is it Margaret?

And this begs the question, is there a William SOLEN (or variant or mangling of) on a FREEBMD page that is missing a bride...around the same time?

Yes, of course, at the end of the day a bride and groom who marry each other must be referenced the same. However, FREEBMD is an incomplete transcribing project, and despite careful checking and data entry (often by 2 different transcribers) errors do creep in.  Or sometimes, unreadable images cause the transcriber to be unable to fully decipher the vol & pg number reference (or a name). I have in the past found Brides and Grooms who definitely married each other, listed on FREEBMD with different references, where one of them is wrong.

This could be because :
the volume number is entered incorrectly (causing the event to be listed under the wrong registration district
the page number is entered incorrectly
The page number or volume being wholly or partially unreadable.
The Qtr and or year have been incorrectly entered into FREEBMD. Less common, but can happen!
The Original image itself records the wrong ref. nrs - again, that index is a transcription in itself, and human error could also occur at that stage!

For example a man may be listed as 8b 437.
His bride may be listed as 3b 437, or 8b 487, or 8b 4[_]7  - so she won't come up "with him".

With a rather unusual name like Margaret BOUCHARD, I would definitely be interested in any who come up in or around the right area in or around the right time.  So unless, you have managed tie that Margaret in 1850 to one of the 4 men on the same page ...she could still be yours?

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hiya all

Welcome to Rootschat Amberglow

On BMD Registers http://bmdregisters.co.uk/ there is a baptism for a William Herbert Solly 1835 Middlesex which might be a possible contender

Anyone got any credits for that site and can do a lookup?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
Just re-reading the thread though, it looked like we had found Margaret in 1851 Census, unmarried and age 13 with her brother Benjamin - we were waiting to see if that was the one you had - and it looks like it is)

SO the 1850 extra bride can't be her.........but, the scenario of mis transcription could still be a factor in the missing marriage of your couple D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Amberglow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Amber  ;D

My thinking was: there are too many people on that one reference - there should only be 8.  Someone doesn't belong there and since there are 5 women listed it must be one of the 5 brides. ie: Is it Margaret?

And this begs the question, is there a William SOLEN (or variant or mangling of) on a FREEBMD page that is missing a bride...around the same time?

Yes, of course, at the end of the day a bride and groom who marry each other must be referenced the same. However, FREEBMD is an incomplete transcribing project, and despite careful checking and data entry (often by 2 different transcribers) errors do creep in.  Or sometimes, unreadable images cause the transcriber to be unable to fully decipher the vol & pg number reference (or a name). I have in the past found Brides and Grooms who definitely married each other, listed on FREEBMD with different references, where one of them is wrong.

This could be because :
the volume number is entered incorrectly (causing the event to be listed under the wrong registration district
the page number is entered incorrectly
The page number or volume being wholly or partially unreadable.
The Qtr and or year have been incorrectly entered into FREEBMD. Less common, but can happen!
The Original image itself records the wrong ref. nrs - again, that index is a transcription in itself, and human error could also occur at that stage!

For example a man may be listed as 8b 437.
His bride may be listed as 3b 437, or 8b 487, or 8b 4[_]7  - so she won't come up "with him".

With a rather unusual name like Margaret BOUCHARD, I would definitely be interested in any who come up in or around the right area in or around the right time.  So unless, you have managed tie that Margaret in 1850 to one of the 4 men on the same page ...she could still be yours?

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY

Hi again Ambly,  I understand what you are saying but wouldn't our searching be a waste of time if we linked ourselves with anyone who had the right name, place and date regardless of reference number.  I don't feel happy to do that.  I can understand that sometimes a name gets spelt wrong(i have actually changed spelling on one of my family tree lines on the actual record) but for marriages, I am not sure I could link one to another if the references didn't match.

Regards

Amber -  can't give a Smiley.  Tell me how to attach them lol

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ambly

If you look at the image for the marriage for Margaret on FreeDMB it quite clearly reads III 169

If you do a search under forename William who married 1850 3/4 Hackney it lists about 30+ names including a William Solkon (ref III 195) and a William Sibson (ref III 196)

Have checked the image on both of these

Could either of these be William Solen?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
And now totally disregard the above lol  ;)

Willow x

Offline Browniepants

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dad & His Nephew Clifford
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I agree with Ambly we did find her in 1851 with her parents She would of been to young to marry in 1850  ( 12 If born in 1838 )  :-X

I have searched 1841 & 1851 but nothing that looks like William Solen  :'(

Yvonne ;)

P.S I'm Still convinced they didn't marry  :-[  ;D 
Jones ,Mullany,Crick,Nicol,Crosby,Turner,Jolly, Harris,Wilcox, French,Welsh/Walsh,McCauley,Flatman,Booby,Scoles,Brown,Prowse,
Osborne, Lear.

Offline Amberglow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I agree with Ambly we did find her in 1851 with her parents She would of been to young to marry in 1850  ( 12 If born in 1838 )  :-X

I have searched 1841 & 1851 but nothing that looks like William Solen  :'(

Yvonne ;)

P.S I'm Still convinced they didn't marry  :-[  ;D 

Hiya Yvonne,    Yes, I have Margaret with her parents on the 1851.  As I said before, I am sure very sure this is her because she gave names to her childrent the same as her parents and siblings.  I also agree they probably did not marry.   What do you think about all the odd cross references.  Surely, they can't be taken seriously

Amber