Author Topic: George/Martha WARNER living in Redbourn Herts in 1901  (Read 3354 times)

Offline sjohno

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George/Martha WARNER living in Redbourn Herts in 1901
« on: Friday 30 May 08 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if there is any one out there who can help me please?

I have found George Warner/Martha Warner in the 1901 census living in Redbourn Hertfordshire.

The enumerator has George Warner as being born in Beeson/Beston/Berton/Beeton Hemel Hempstead and Martha as being born in Long Crendon Bucks.

I have made 1 attempt at a marriage cert for the above couple but it was wrong.

I would like to know where abouts Besson/Berton/Beeton Hemel Hempstead is? Should it be Bearton/Beeson/Beston  if it is if a person was born in these areas, where would they state they would have been born in previous censuses?  I have been unable to locate George Warner or Martha in the 1891 census or previous censuses.  I don't think they are actually a married couple.

I look forward to any replies thank you.

regards

Sarah

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George/Martha WARNER living in Redbourn Herts in 1901
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 17:49 BST (UK) »
This might worth a look.
1861 Long Crendon bucks
Richard Cannon age 39 dealer and victualler
Eliza age 51
Richard 23
Sarah age 17
Angelina age 12
Martha  age 10 all the children born Long Crendon.//
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 08 18:20 BST (UK) »
There is a place called Beeson,s End in Redbourne

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 08 21:50 BST (UK) »
Squash first posting...There is a death 1870 for a Martha cannon age 20 in Thame..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline sjohno

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that I must confess that I have researched all Martha's born 1849-1853 in Long Crendon and traced them all through bmd's and census info.  I found Martha Cannon and her death in the 1870's.

George Warner (who is a descendant in my tree) was married and had 3 children and was in Long Crendon in 1881, by 1884 his wife had re-married using a different surname and given his 2 daughters a different surname (they also married using this different surname but through other family descendants they always claimed that they were Warners).  His first born son, who is also in the 1881 census has disappeared, can't find his birth or death.  I think that George and his wife separated and went on to lead different lives.

I have been unable to trace George in the 1891 census, I believe that the George Warner I have found in the 1901 census is him.  I don't think that he is married to the Martha that he is with and he has fibbed a little about the places of birth.  His age and occupation matches perfectly with my missing George Warner.

thanks again

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:27 BST (UK) »
can I just check something

on the 1881 census it says he was born in Long Crendon is that correct?           wife Fanny son James, daughters frances & susan?

sandie
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
If so would this be them in Long Crendon in 1871?
Amos Warner 5 
Elizabeth Warner 15 
George Warner 17 
Jane Warner 7 
John Warner 46 
John Warner 10 
Sarah A Warner 13 
Susan Warner 12 
Susanna Warner 45 
Thirza Warner 8 

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
there is a James Warner age 27 born Long Crendon in 1901 living in Lambeth married to annie son Sidney and interestingly a nephew called George age 20

sandie

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 June 08 21:01 BST (UK) »
There is a place called Beeson,s End in Redbourne

Beesons End was actually a farm that was in my family until the 1830s, though the surrounding area, as so often happens would probably have also been known as Beesons End.

Looking at the 1901 image, I wonder if the enumerator has written Bucks (badly) and not Beeson with an arrow to Martha, as he originally did not seem to know which County Long Crendon was in and had just put a question mark.  Later Bucks has been added in the right hand margin.

It clearly states Hemel Hempstead as his place of birth. I know the area well and I cannot think of an area within HH that is similar to Beeson etc.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk