Author Topic: Looking for Trial of Ann HARPER  (Read 4837 times)

Offline reen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Trial of Ann HARPER
« on: Saturday 31 May 08 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information on the trial of Ann Harper. It was in Somerset probably 1787/1788. She was on the convict ship Lady Julianna which sailed in 1789 to Prt Jackson. She was 17, Can anyone help please.
Reen

Offline random

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Trial of Ann HARPER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 August 08 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ann Harper is also my ancestor and I had trouble locating her trial too. I don't have the exact trial but in "From Chains to Freedom" by Thais Mason Vol II on page 28 it talks about the trial.

On 24th Sep 1787 in the morning in Bristol, Ann Harper (17) along with Margaret Williams (13), Alice Fideo and Elizabeth Seney (18) were alll on Bristol Bridge selling grapes. Margaret told the girls she knew where they could get a silver teapot and they went togerther over the Drawbridge to Denmark Street and stopped at number 11 which was owned by Nancy Clutson. Margaret unlatched the door and went inside where she stayed for some time.

When she came back out the four girls ran away to Medcliff Church Yard. Margaret showed the other girls 9 silver teaspoons, 2 silver tablespoons and a silver cream jug. They all agreed to go to someone Norris' house on Redcliff Hill to sell the things. Alice said that Elizabeth and Margaret went into the house and when they came out they told her they'd sold 2 of the spoons and spent the money on victuals. Then Margaret gave them each 2 spoons and supposedly they all gave these to Elizabeth's brother to sell but never heard from him again.

They were found out and a few people such as maids, neighbours and a friend of Norris testified and a maid from Nancy Clutson's house also said that an amount of eight shillings were also stolen. Despite Ann not actually doing the stealing she was punished because she was aware of it and received the goods. Alice also gave evidence and went to jail. The other three including Ann were transported for seven years.

Offline reen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 August 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Random
Thank you for that. Have you found out any more about her? I would love to get a copy of this book I have heard a lot about it.
Regards
Reen

Offline random

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Reen, I don't actually own a copy of the book and as far as I know it's out of publication. There's a copy in the National Library in Canberra and the State Library in Sydney. I think there would probably be one in a library in Tasmania too. I haven't looked at my information completely yet so all I know is some life dates, what I said about the trial and her transportation to Australia. I'll let you know if I find anything else. Bye :)

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Reen,

Not sure where you live but the State Library of Tasmania does have a copy of the book mentioned but cannot be lent from Library. You can veiw it at the library though.

Johngirl :)
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline reen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 09:59 BST (UK) »
hi
I live in NZ so not possible to go to the libraries though I will check the Brisbane Library because we go there regularly and I know they are very good.
regards
Reen

Offline Moonwooders

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi I live in tasmania and work at the state library.  My grandmother contributed to from chains to freedom as a direct descendant of Ann Harper.  She is my great great great grandmother.  There is s bonnet project to honour the women transported and I am making one for Ann.    can always copy of look up stuff in the book for you.  It's on my desk as a reference copy :).  Cheers from tassie !