Author Topic: Tragic death in Owston Ferry  (Read 10261 times)

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and I, Mablethorpe, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic death in Owston Ferry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 June 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rover and Carole,
  This story was told to me by an Aunt of my husband's, and I have found the burial record of Ethel May Snowden, but have had no luck yet in substantiating the event.
Names;- Beard -Worcestershire
Blessington - Burton on Trent/ East Lothian
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Torn - Owston Ferry, Lincolnshire
Gleadle - Lincolnshire
Allen - Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire
Smith -Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 June 08 19:49 BST (UK) »
After an inquest, the coroner would have been the informant on the death certificate.  The examples I've seen of death certificates issued after inquests have been mostly pretty detailed and informative as to the cause and circumstances of the death.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 June 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anna,
   So if I can get a death certificate,I may find out more?

Rover 72 - I misled you with the date of death - As far as I now know, it was Sept 12th 1934, and not June.

Cheers,  Pat.
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Gleadle - Lincolnshire

Offline Anne of Selby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 July 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
If you go to http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Leisure/libraries/ this puts you in touch with Scunthorpe Library and if you follow the links to family history the brilliant ladies in the research dep. will do a look up for you if you send in the online request form.
The first 30 minutes are free and as you have most of the details and dates it shouldn't take longer than that.
Good luck.
Anelay, Yorkshire
Chamberlain, Isle of Axhome
Crossland, Yorkshire
Coy, Yorkshire.

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 July 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne,
  I  have already picked up on a lot of family information from other sites suggested on this thread, and I will get round to following up on this line eventually.
   The North lincs sites all seem to be very informative,more so than some of the other areas I have been searching in.
  Thanks again for your help,
      Cheers,   Pat.
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Gleadle - Lincolnshire

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 July 08 14:19 BST (UK) »
Epworth Bells - Saturday September 15th 1934 - Page 2

FATAL BURNS
Owston Ferry woman dies in Infirmary

Mrs Ethel Mary Snowden, aged 28, wife of Mr James Snowden, died in the Doncaster Royal Infirmary on Wednesday night from toxaemia and shock following severe burns received while she was using a spirit stove at her home on Tuesday. A verdict of "Accidental death" was recorded at the inquest held at Doncaster on Thursday.

Theory of explosion

The theory was advanced that the woman had been priming a vapour stove with petrol and forgot to screw down the stopper over the hole through which the vessel was filled, so that when a light was applied there was an explosion which ignited the woman's clothing.

A neighbour Edward M Kent, a painter and decorator, said he found petrol near the stove and the container cap on the floor. He thought that the fact that this was off led to an explosion. He heard screams, but at first thought it was children playing, but a moment later Mrs Snowden rushed into his house in flames. He endeavoured to get a rug to throw over her but could not get it up and she rushed out again. He finally extinguished the flames with water.

The husband said they had latterly used petrol for the stove and they had never had any trouble with it.

The Doncaster Borough Coroner (Mr W. Bagshaw) said there was no direct evidence to show how the accident was caused. It must have been brought about by petrol from the stove.

The funeral takes place to-day (Saturday) at Owston Ferry churchyard. Mrs Snowden, whose maiden names was Ethel M Gleadle, was married in March 1933 at St Martin's Church. Much sympathy is felt in Owston Ferry and district for the bereaved husband and relatives.

Offline Beard grandchild

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 July 08 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rover72,
Thanks for that very detailed information. The lady in question was half-sister to my husband's mother. In April we met the last surviving of her siblings, and knowing that I was doing family tree research, she told me the story as she remembered it.
Ethel's mother was the Mary Torn, widowed when the ferry capsised when hit by the Aegir on August Bank holiday Monday 1917. Alfred Torn, the ferryman, was Mary's second husband. It seems that this second tragedy completely traumatised her.
This report seems to refute the story of the fire being in the garden shed, which is the version that I  was told, but as we all know these stories passed down by word of mouth do get altered over the years.
So, once again, thank you very much for your help.
    Cheers,   Pat.
Snow - Isle of Axholme
Gleadle - Lincolnshire

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile