Author Topic: scottish birth records  (Read 4326 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: scottish birth records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 June 08 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayne

Like Gadget and the others, I use the IGI first - it has the advantage of not requiring an exact name match, and it is free, but if I can't find the information on the IGI I head for ScotlandsPeople.

SP is by far the best genealogy site for any useful BDM information, but you do need to practise the search routines so as not to waste credits. You can search as many times as you like without paying - until you decide to view the results. I wasted credits learning how to search properly and now make sure I get a page full of useful results for each search, not just one line  :D

The civil searching on the IGI has the advantage over SP in that parent names are on the birth records. It has the disadvantage that there are very few death records on the IGI.

A certificate costs £1.20 - definitely the cheapest I have ever found - consequently I have more certificates from Scotland than Australia & not many of my folks were in Scotland post 1855  ::)  ::)

If you can't find the folks you are searching for - post some messages, I'm sure you will get much help at RootsChat

Trish

Edit: You probably need to advise if you are looking pre or post civil registration - I find both types of searches quite different. The church records on SP are mainly church of Scotland records. If you folks belonged to other churches you may have difficulty finding any records in Scotland pre 1855

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jayeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 June 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much everyone, have looked on the igi this morning and can't find what i'm looking for, James Baillie b 1856 birth cert, father James Baillie mother Sarah Baille nee Gibb also cant find parents marriage cert but on the census it says they're both from Ireland!! Any ideas where i go from here?

Jayne ;)
Rooney,Baillie,Rimmer,
Banks,Cartwright

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1861 census that he was 4 and b. Airdire. Could this one be him:

1857 James Baillie, Airdire 651/01 Page 21

Sister Sarah:

1859  651/01 Page 279

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:02 BST (UK) »
The following is on the IGI
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

JAMES BAILLIE

Birth:  03 JAN 1857   New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland

Father:  JAMES BAILLIE
  Mother:  SARAH GIBB    

Brother David is there as well! born 1855 - buy that certificate could be very useful

Trish

Edit: Hi Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
I was just going to say that Trish - Airdire or New Monkland - unfortunately the IGI only classes it as New Monkland  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
I see that their  eldest child on the 1861, Ann, was b. circa 1851, Airdire/New Monkland but, given their ages, they might have older children. Have you checked the 1851 to possibly identify a date when they came over?

Gadget  :)

Added - a child, Fanny, aged 2 on the 1851 also b. Airdrie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:07 BST (UK) »
Gadget and Trish have beaten me to it but there are also other children listed in IGI- children of James Baillie and Sarah Gibb: Fanny (1847), Ann (chr.1851), David (1855), James (1857), Sarah (1859) & twin Adam (1859).
Found all the above in one step by doing a parent search.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
I was just going to say that Trish - Airdire or New Monkland - unfortunately the IGI only classes it as New Monkland  ;D

Gadget

it was a snap posting -  ;D  ;D

Jayne

You can do a parent search on the IGI - From my link above - put James Baillie in the "father" Sarah Gibb in the "mother" - the date  e.g. 1860 +/- 10 years  and the location  and you will get - as well as James and David, Sarah and Adam, who seem to be twins. These are ALL extracted records.

There is also a submitted record for a pre civil birth for Ann

Trish

Edit: sorry aghadowey - you posted while I was typing - I thought Jayne may not know how to do a parent search. I didn't go back far enough to get Fanny - I wonder about submitted records - I would prefer to look for them on SP - perhaps some were born in Ireland?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 June 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
 :D

we're going great guns - have modified my message to include Fanny on the 1851 !