Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141650 times)

Online rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

From RAF Coastal Command Losses, Vol 1, R McNeill, Midland Counties Publications.

27/12/1940
22 Sqn
Beaufort I
N1118
OA-X

S/L D V W Francis
Sgt R J Farthing
Sgt J W Unett
F/O E Pennington

Op: Rover Patrol, RAF North Coates, Took off 15:45 hrs

Took off in the company of other squadron aircraft and set course for Holland. The flight made landfall on Texel at 16:55 hrs. Shortly afterwards S/L Francis, three times MiD, was seen to bank sharply while low on the water and had been shot down by the Sperrbrecher, SS Templar. THe Beaufort had already dropped its torpedo which continued to run true to hit and damage the 6,727 ton vessel.

As No.22 Sqn historian I can add the following information on the aircraft and crew:

S/L Francis had been posted into the squadron as a F/L on the 30th Aug 1940. Sgt Farthing had far more experience on squadron ops, having been with the squadron since the outbreak of war in Sept 1939. F/O Pennington was the squadron Gunnery Leader and had joined the unit as a P/O on 14th June 1940.

Sgt Unett was one of those early airmen who undertook air operations as an AG for extra pay in addition to his normal ground task. He is first noted as an AC on 16th April 1940.

N1118 had been taken on charge by the squadron on the 10th Sept 1940 (height of the BoB) and three months operational use lasted about the average length of time for a No.22 Squadron aircraft in 1940.

Regards
Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
 :)  Ross,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my earlier post to kyt and for giving me the additional information.

John W Unett was my FinLaw's 1 x cousin and his closest relative apart from John's sister.

My OH went to visit her father today and even though we've talked many times about his time in the RAF and John Unett he's only ever mentioned having his service medals.....so i was very plesantly surprised tonight when i got home to find out that he's sorted some bits and pieces out for me!!!    ;D

1.note from Buckingham Palace sending heartfelt sympathy
2.note from Air Ministry(1942)stating grave at Hage,Holland
3.note from Chaplin at RAF North Coates(1945) re: Roll of Honour
4.note from Air Ministry(1949) re: reburial at Sage cemetery
5.note from FlLt J.H.Holloway.MBE re: inclusion in "The Narrow Margin"appendix in the book "The Battle of Britain"
6.the origional box from the Air Ministry with note and his 3 service medals

and best of all , a picture of John with 3 other crew and 3 ground staff in front of a Beaufort!   ;D

hopefully if i don't mess it up it should be below  ::)

if  it's worked John is the one at left rear.

once again thanks for the information
Regards Tony
Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire
Felton-Newport/Bilston/Walsall
Williamson/Johnson-Middlesex/Hertfordshire

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
Moderators, I don't know what the criteria for a "Sticky" is but I think this thread deserves one.

Currently there are in excess of 80 replies in the "Air Force Lookups - if you need help" thread and Kyt continually produces the goods.

Offline kes123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
wonder if you could help my grandad was raf 1379138 arthur wardale died age 31  13 feb 1942 he is buried in singapore memoriol column 419 how can i find out how he was killed and has he got any medals my name is keith wardale his grandson many thanks

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I'm afraid that I do not have a unit for your grandfather and so cannot say exactly where and how he may have died. The Singapore Memorial entry means that he has no known grave which, sadly, is the case for a lot who perished in those last days before the surrender.

As a member of the RAF the chances are that he was killed in one of the many bombings on airfields and depots in those hectic days, or during the evacuations.

If you can get hold of his service records, which will include what unit he was with and medals he was entitled to, then I maybe able to track down where he may have been killed.

To get his records follow the instructions on this link. Remember to ask photocopies of the original documents as the typed summary isn't much use for further research:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

Get back to us when you get the papers, with the unit.

K

Offline anceley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 15:20 BST (UK) »
hi Kyt
          wondered if you could help me ? Im looking for anything on my father David Cordiner who served in the R.a.F.

in the 1940s  I dont know where exactly but he lived at augustine rd.Whitburn Northumberland so it could have been

Acklington he served from or Broomhill. He married my mother in june 1942 at Amble where she Isabella Weatherston lived. I do have his photo but that and his birthdate june 1918 is all I have.

Anyone remember him ? 

Hopeful   Anceley

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Anceley

I'm afraid that with the WW2 still only available to NoK it is very difficult to track RAF personnel, except in those cases where they were aircrew or their names are mentioned in the books.

My best advice is to apply for his service records and when they arrive we maybe able to shed some light on the units that served with etc.

The following link tells you how to apply. It will cost £30 and there is a few weeks wait (the RAF service is quicker than the Army one which can take months). When applying please make sure to as for photocopies of the originals, otherwise they send you a typed summary which isn't much help:

Though a service number and/or unit is of help in speeding up the search, it is not necessary. try to fill in as much information as possible on the form.

Good luck, and let us know what you get

K

Offline kalasira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
to kyt really nice to read what you are doing, i would like some information on my dad he did,nt die in the war,only about ten year,s ago but would not talk about it he was a pilot,and then a bomb aimer which he hated,i don,t know anything about what he did,the only thing he told me was they all went out on a misstion and bomb the wrong place ture or false,don,t know?? his name was Harry Campbell Skillington,born boxing day 1924??was surposed to have changed his birth certifiate date so he could join up,allso he must have been staioned in belfast cos that is where he met my mum and do u know if the american,s were stationed there as well .i know i am being really checkie asking you ,hope you can help, all the best jacquie, :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ and thanks.
iles,from kingswood bristol,gloucershire ,fudge,hawkins,crotty,powell,yates.,also kingswood,bristol.
fogg,from manchester,and hossock.from manchester.
dinsmore,devlin,larkin,patterson,McArthur,mahood,from belfast,antrim,.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

I'm afraid his name hasn't cropped up in the books I've looked in but a more thorough search would be required.

Firstly, have you applied for his service records? They will be able to tell you (and us) what unit(s) he served with:

From the units we will able to fill in some details about what he may have been doing etc

You also mention in other posts that you have photos of him. I know you are having a few problems posting these. Could you tell me what, if any, names, captions they may have on them. These would also provide clues.

You mention that he may have been based in Belfast. There were both training and operational bases in Northern Ireland, some being shared with the US air force. The fact that he was a pilot, and then a bomb aimer is unusual, and seems to imply that he changed during his training. A number of trainee pilots were not succesful and were given the option to train in another role.

Bombing the wrong targets was not unusual - it happened a lot, even when some of a squadron found the target and others did not.

I would certainly like to help, and if you can provide any more information, I shall continue looking.

K