Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141644 times)

Offline ajhales

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #225 on: Thursday 31 December 09 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to research a Lancaster aircraft from 49 squadron lost on the 24th March 1944. It was on a bombing operation to Frankfurt. I know that 6 out of the 7 crew were lost and I have some information about them but anything extra that you can add would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Offline RandomElectron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello kyt.
Regarding your kind Look-up offer. I have a framed photograph of my late uncle, Flight Sgt. DAS McKay, standing outside Buckingham Palace, with a grin a mile wide. He had just come out from being presented with the DFM by King George VI after shooting down his twelfth Luftwaffe aircraft in the Battle of Britain and thus becoming an official Hurricane Ace.  Is there anything in your valuable book on him please? Thanks in advance.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Friday 19 March 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello kyt.
Regarding your kind Look-up offer. I have a framed photograph of my late uncle, Flight Sgt. DAS McKay, standing outside Buckingham Palace, with a grin a mile wide. He had just come out from being presented with the DFM by King George VI after shooting down his twelfth Luftwaffe aircraft in the Battle of Britain and thus becoming an official Hurricane Ace.  Is there anything in your valuable book on him please? Thanks in advance.

Hi Random

could you please PM me your email address - I have a far few snippets I'd like to send you from different sources.

K

Offline RandomElectron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Friday 19 March 10 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks for that. I have just joined RootsChat, let me see how to PM another member........

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Friday 19 March 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Click on my username on the left and that will take you to my profile. Scroll down and click Send this RootsChatter a personal message.

K

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Friday 19 March 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello kyt.

Hi Random

could you please PM me your email address - I have a far few snippets I'd like to send you from different sources.

K

Share and share alike?

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Friday 19 March 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello kyt.

Hi Random

K

Share and share alike?

I wish I could David but issues with sources and all that.

But a brief outline.

Donald McKay was awarded a DFM and Bar, both with 91 Squadron. His total tally at the end of the war was 14 confirmed kills, and a host of confirmed and unconfirmed shared kills. He also served with 501 Squadron and 521 Flight.

He ended the war as a F/Lt and went on to become one of the founding members of the Air Britain Society. He sadly died in 1959. His brother was Squadron Leader G R S McKay DFC.

K

Offline nvarchitect

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Sunday 21 March 10 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi kyt
I am new to this site and live in england .
I found it whilst searching information on raf binbrook and 460 sqn.
I have seen your link to the 460 sqn orb but i have tried searching the archives for anything binbrook related and came up with nothing.
Not even the orb doesnt show up.
Maybe you could help me or find out for me what they have and is available to view if you would be most kind.
I have gathered a considerable amount of information on 460 sqn and trying to conatact any former crew or family as planning on writing a book on this once raf base so if anyone out there who was either stationed at binbrook who had a member of there family based there please get in touch as would love to hear from you.
Many thanks in advance
Darren

460 Squadron - Binbrook
I am helping my dad Henry Baskerville compile his stories about being a bomber pilot for 460 Squadron at Binbrook in 1943/44. Below is the link to his articles so far. If you want to ask him any questions, you could post a comment there.
http://knol.google.com/k/460-squadron-collection#

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Friday 26 March 10 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi kyt

What a kind offer.

I'm wondering if you have anything on Daniel Paul Phillips NZ 391815. RAF

I don't know what squadron he was in first but after was at No 22 operational training unit.

Thanks
Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ