Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141605 times)

Offline cwalarc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #252 on: Monday 26 April 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
thanks for info on Flt Sgt JK Henson dfm.  Cannot find much about 226 squadron or where he was based.  Which airfield did the fatal journey start from?  Would love any more info or where to look for it.
He was my uncle who I never met.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Monday 03 May 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
During the war we had two young air force boys billeted with us in Redcar, both only 21 at the time.  I would love to know what happened to them"

1462950   AC/2  Beets William H  (Billy)

11505502  AC 2 Heyworth William (Bill)

Billy Beets was originally from Field Barn, Dunton, Fakenham, Norfolk

The last we heard of them was when they were relocated,  Billy Beets to RAF Station  Syerston  Newark  Notts, and Bill Hayward to Lynemouth  Morpeth  Northumberland.  This was towards the end of 1941.

Is there any chance I couuld trace what became of them - they were lovely boys and made such a fuss of the (then) 9 year old me!

Ceeoh

Hi Ceeoh,

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find anything on either man. They both appear to have survived the war, and neither was promoted to officer rank.

WW2 personnel are difficult to research unless they were either of the above, received a gallantry medal or there were some hints that they may have been aircrew.

Sorry I couldn't help.

K

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Friday 07 May 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, my dad served in the RAF during the second world war, he was serving in Africa but where I don't know. I have very little information on him during this time. I do have a photo of him in a military hospital which I attach. His name was Philip Thomas Cole Davis and he was born on the 26th of November 1905. Would it be possible to track him down. I think he picked up a tropical disease and sent home, I know he was out of the RAF in 1942. Any help would be much appreciated. Sara.
PS. he is the person in the middle of the photo.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline Belgenland

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Kyt,

Could you please check your archive about RAF 77 Sqdn Halifax JD167 shot down in Boussu (Belgium) on 11th August 1943?

I am looking for informations about radio operator and air gunner Eric Yeomans Howes, service no 1295447.

Many thanks in advance.

Phil
Eric Howes

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Thursday 13 May 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Try aswell 77 Squadron RAF Association Hon Secretary R Semlyen, Brinkworth Park House, Elvington, York YO41 4AT United Kingdom: email rachel AT semlyen.net : tel 07751 374955
Squadron association website http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/77 Squadron Association.html (this is from the RAFRA website so is usually reasonably up to date...
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Thursday 13 May 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, my dad served in the RAF during the second world war, he was serving in Africa but where I don't know. I have very little information on him during this time. I do have a photo of him in a military hospital which I attach. His name was Philip Thomas Cole Davis and he was born on the 26th of November 1905. Would it be possible to track him down. I think he picked up a tropical disease and sent home, I know he was out of the RAF in 1942. Any help would be much appreciated. Sara.
PS. he is the person in the middle of the photo.
If you are his nearest living relative or the person who is is willing to pay £30 you can get his RAF service record.  Have a look at http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Thursday 13 May 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee, thank you very much. would it cause problems because I don't have my dads service number or indeed anything to go on?    Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Monday 17 May 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Sara shouldnt be a problem as long as you have his DOB... The website tells you what else you need.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Monday 17 May 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee, thanks a lot, will do, Sara xxxxxxxxxxxxxx