Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141606 times)

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #261 on: Monday 17 May 10 23:24 BST (UK) »
And ... I just found this ......

Lancaster PB253 Information

Type   Lancaster
Serial Number   PB253
Squadron   576
X1D   UL-A2
Operation   Stuttgart
Date 1   28th July 1944
Date 2   29th July 1944

Further Information

"Serial Range PA964 - PD196 This aircxraft was one of 800 Lancasters ordered from A.V.Roe (Chadderton) Apr43 of which 756 were delivered as 255 Mk.1s, 500 Mk.111s and one Lancastrian between May44 and Mar45 mainly from Chadderton with 87 from Yeadon. The Mk.111s had Merlin 38 engines initially installed except for the late production models with Merlin 224 engines. PB253 was a Mk.111 and was delivered to 576 Sqdn Jul44 When lost this aircraft had a total of 67 hours.
No other operational history PB253 was one of four 576 Sqdn Lancaster lost on this operation. See: LL799; LL905; PB128. Airborne 2118 28Jul44 from Elsham Wolds. Crashed circa 0230 29Jul44 near Chaumousey (Vosges), 8 km w of epinal. Six are buried in Chaumousey Communal Cemetery. F/O Archibald survived and probably evaded capture. This is yet to be substantiated. F/O J.Archibald RNZAF Sgt J.R.Cuthbert KIA Sgt J.e.Kearney KIA F/O P.J.Biollo RCAF KIA Sgt L.Fielding KIA W/O T.P.Barry KIA Sgt A.Milne KIA "

http://www.lostbombers.co.uk/bomber.php?id=3663

Think this thread relates to the above...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,454271.0.html
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline meggie4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Re F/O James Archibald Lancaster PB253 Squadron 526 became POW .Sent to hospital in Paris as wounds needed greater medical attention.He was looked after by the local people until he became too ill and became a POW  He was liberated in Paris and returned to England.
He was invalided out of the airforce and returned to NZ on the death of his father. For many years he was every year fighting  the POW association about information that listed him as missing in action.  I presume that is why  everyone had such difficulty finding him.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Monday 24 May 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Kyt
Can you do me a favour and tell me more about the collision between Stirling W7467 (7 Sqn) and a 56 OTU Hurri... I know from the Earith the names & where buried but what were they doing and why crash 1.5miles north of Earith.  R W Taylor and J W Mahler were the pilots but which was which.  There is a lovely memorial just outside Earith but reception here wont let me upload a picture-damn it...
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline jb148

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Looking for help on a ex- pow - His name is Sidney Richard Vickers - warrant Officer 590124  R A F.  I now he was awarded the Order of the British Empire medal.  Also i now he was a P O W  in 1942.  Is there anything else you can help me with !
Regards
James

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Thursday 27 May 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Kyt
Can you do me a favour and tell me more about the collision between Stirling W7467 (7 Sqn) and a 56 OTU Hurri... I know from the Earith the names & where buried but what were they doing and why crash 1.5miles north of Earith.  R W Taylor and J W Mahler were the pilots but which was which.  There is a lovely memorial just outside Earith but reception here wont let me upload a picture-damn it...
Dee

Just to let you know that my colleagues on rafcommands came up with some information to say that apparently the Hurri was doing an "unauthorised attack" on the aircraft when they collided.  Such a shame and what a waste of life....
Dee
D
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline ARM99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Monday 12 July 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
I'm attempting to find details of my father's activities in the RAF from the beginning of the second world war and would appreciate any help.
His Name is William Edwin Mulford - service number 37202. He was posted to 50 squadron in late 1939 with the rank of Flight Lieutenant. I would be interested in knowing what he flew, who were his crew and what missions he went on. He was promoted to Squadron Leader in December 1940.
He was posted to 431 squadron in late 1942 and was KIA in June 1943.
Any information would be appreciated.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Monday 12 July 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
I can't help you too much, however your father piloted my father (rear gunner) on an operation to Berlin on 20 September 1941.

They received a recall when just inside enemy territory and attacked a S.E.M.O. (Self evident military objective) on the Rheine.

They departed Swanton Morley (which was unusual) and landed at Finningley.

If I can help further please contact me but that is the only reference I have to your father.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Monday 12 July 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that my colleagues on rafcommands came up with some information to say that apparently the Hurri was doing an "unauthorised attack" on the aircraft when they collided.  Such a shame and what a waste of life....
Dee
D
You are so right.... He would have been in so much trouble if he had survived!  Mind you he might have misrecognised the a/c and thought it was a German one!
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline yekepa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Kyt
Can you help on ORB for 90 squadron Tuddenham 1945 Lancasters
HK610 and PD336  I have crew lists and where they crashed, if you can offer anything else I would be grateful
Yekepa