Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141678 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #297 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
I have the photocopied one, but I don't have a digital version of it and it's too big to scan. I will try and photo the relevant sections and PM them.

I folded my father's in half in order to scan them.

Offline grahalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to a scanner.I have taken some photo's that I could email and have PM'd KYT.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Saturday 30 October 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thats a very good option as the copies will be good for Kyt to look at.
Dee  :)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline grahalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Monday 01 November 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
KYT has looked at my Dad's records and has done a brilliant job in decifering them for me. He has really brought them to life and made sense of all those numbers and letters. One thing though, does anyone know where 3 SofTT was ?

Offline tioman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hallo.

I wonder if you could find anything out or point me in the right direction as to the circumstances of my Uncle Patrick' death.  I remember my Dad who was also in the RAF saying Patrick was at RAF Aldergrove in N.Ireland and that he took off and never came back.... that may have been his way of explaining it or he may not have known at all.
Thanks very much
Tioman

No Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name
1  McNEILLY , PATRICK  Sergeant 1522944 19/03/1945  22 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. 246. Grave 6. OLD MONKLAND CEMETERY
McNeilly Scot Ireland Canada
Logan Scot
Milligan Scot Ireland Canada
Fowler Kent Devon
Seward Devon Dorset Cambs Surrey Sussex Middix
Rendell Devon Dorset Guernsey London Surrey
Duquemin Guernsey
White Devon Dorset Cheshire
Sweetland Devon
Snell Devon Dorset
Doble Dorset
Bishop Dorset
Rough Dorset
Pomeroy Devon
Turner Devon
Hawkins Dorset
Gossage Devon Dorset
Clegg Lancashire
Dare Devon
Rhodes Bethnal Green, Hackney,Bradford
Evans Beth' green
Elliot Beth' Green, Nthumla

Offline aprilina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re. Donald McKay and Skybirds
« Reply #302 on: Thursday 04 November 10 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi RandomElectron - I'm trying to find out some more info. re Donald McKay, the WW2 hurricane fighter pilot. I'm interested in him as he corresponded with my grandfather Alfred J Holladay re Skybirds model planes which he used to make during his time with the RAF, and possibly before this.
Skybirds were the original 1/72 scale model aircraft and began production back in 1932 and became very popular with the youth of the day. I never knew my grandfather but I've very proud of the fact that he instiled a love of aircraft and aviation in general into the teenagers of the 1930's.
I have copies of some of the letters written by Donald McKay (printed in the Skybirds own newsletters) where he is noting the colour schemes of the ME 109's with reference to painting the model planes in these colours.
I wondered if you had any of the original letters he wrote to my grandfather Alfred J. Holladay ( he was the MD of the company that made Skybirds), or any of the replies back to your uncle.
I have displayed my Skybirds material in the past and will do againn this month - any info fro your uncle would be most welcome.

Many thanks -- Graham Bailey - Essex

Offline aprilina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re Donald Mckay, RAF hurricane pilot
« Reply #303 on: Thursday 04 November 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Not sure if my original message made it through earlier today as was posted in a public library, so have typed out a similar message again. Sorry if it's a repeat!
Have just joined RootsChat and I'm looking for some info. re Donald Mckay as he used to correspond with my grandfather Alfred J. Holladay about the model planes called Skybirds that were made by my grandfather's company (Mr Holladay was the MD the company).
I notice that RandomElectron is a nephew of Donald McKay from previous messages earlier this year but I'm unable to contact him personally as I've just signed up today. He mentions that he has a photo of his uncle outside Buckingham Palace.
Part of at least one of Mr. McKay's letters was printed in a Skybird newsletter during the course of the early 1940's - I believe he mentions a change in the  painting scheme on a real ME 109 and how this might be applied to future models of that particular aircraft. I think he was shot down over Kent during the Battle of Britain but managed to bale out successfully and went on to score more victories againgst the Lutfwaffe.
I never knew my grandfather but I'm very proud of the fact that he instilled a great interest in aircraft and aviation in general into the youth of the early 1930's.
I now own a large selection of Skybirds model aircraft and their accessories - these kits were the original 1/72 model planes on which many other companies based their own designs.
I'm planning a large display of Skybirds planes at an exhibition for models and hobbies later this month at Southend-on-Sea in Essex, and hope to include a section on former RAF pilots who were inspired into the world of aviation partly by virtue of building these model planes. As well as Donald McKay, other notable RAF pilots were Neville Duke (author of 'Test Pilot') and Geoffrey Wellum (author of 'First Light'). No doubt many other youngsters back in the 1930's and early 40's were inspired in a similar way, some working in the aircraft industry, and others working in related office jobs or as ground crew, with a select few going on join the elite in the RAF.
Any further info. re Donald McKay would therefore be most welcome, esp. any correspondence between him and the firm of A.J. Holladay & Co. Ltd..

Many thanks,
                              Graham Bailey  -  Essex

Offline patjk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm after any information on 576 Squadron Lancaster Bomber Serial Number    PB253 - Crashed 29th July 1944. that anyone may have, I am the Nephew of Alex Milne - Rear Gunner on the Lancaster.

Thanks

I can help. My dad was your uncle's navigator, and was killed in the same crash. I have some letters which may be of interest, and last year went to the graves of the crew. Feel free to get in touch.

Offline patjk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Friday 13 May 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you have looked but I can find no Archibald listed in "Footprints"  or in the "RAF Commands" forum listing of POW's.

http://www.rafcommands.com/Air%20Force%20PoWs/RAF%20POWs%20Index.html

Jimmy Archibald was dad's pilot. Jimmy was the only survivor. He landed in a tree and sustained (depending on which account is correct) a broken leg or pelvis. The Germans took him to a local hospital for initial treatment, and then shipped him to Paris where he was shortly afterwards liberated and returned to the UK. My mother had confirmation of my dad's death from Jimmy before she got it from the RAF. Jimmy returned to New Zealand after the war. I am in regular contact with his son David, who is presently (May 2011) en route to visit the graves of his father's crew in France. I made the same trip last year, and was presented with a small piece of my dad's 'plane which had been saved by the local villagers. They are wonderful people. They keep fresh flowers on the graves to this day, and have erected at their own expense a memorial in the forest where the 'plane crashed.