Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141618 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am David Archibald the son of James Archibald the Pilot of PB253 who survived the crash

If there was anything i can help you with I am only too pleased to assist.
I recently went on a pilgrimage to Renauvoid and was able to meet with some wonderful people who took me to the memorial where the plane cashed. The folk have been faithful in the memory of the crew. I was a very moving time

Welcome David.  Hopefully we can help you too.  Having been to commemorations in Holland I know exactly where you are coming from reference it being very moving..
PS I see there was a Kiwi on the crew.  If you like I can look up his details in Errol Martyns excellent "For your tomorrow".
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline chippy flier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re Donald Mckay, RAF hurricane pilot
« Reply #316 on: Monday 31 October 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Not sure if my original message made it through earlier today as was posted in a public library, so have typed out a similar message again. Sorry if it's a repeat!
Have just joined RootsChat and I'm looking for some info. re Donald Mckay as he used to correspond with my grandfather Alfred J. Holladay about the model planes called Skybirds that were made by my grandfather's company (Mr Holladay was the MD the company).
I notice that RandomElectron is a nephew of Donald McKay from previous messages earlier this year but I'm unable to contact him personally as I've just signed up today. He mentions that he has a photo of his uncle outside Buckingham Palace.
Part of at least one of Mr. McKay's letters was printed in a Skybird newsletter during the course of the early 1940's - I believe he mentions a change in the  painting scheme on a real ME 109 and how this might be applied to future models of that particular aircraft. I think he was shot down over Kent during the Battle of Britain but managed to bale out successfully and went on to score more victories againgst the Lutfwaffe.
I never knew my grandfather but I'm very proud of the fact that he instilled a great interest in aircraft and aviation in general into the youth of the early 1930's.
I now own a large selection of Skybirds model aircraft and their accessories - these kits were the original 1/72 model planes on which many other companies based their own designs.
I'm planning a large display of Skybirds planes at an exhibition for models and hobbies later this month at Southend-on-Sea in Essex, and hope to include a section on former RAF pilots who were inspired into the world of aviation partly by virtue of building these model planes. As well as Donald McKay, other notable RAF pilots were Neville Duke (author of 'Test Pilot') and Geoffrey Wellum (author of 'First Light'). No doubt many other youngsters back in the 1930's and early 40's were inspired in a similar way, some working in the aircraft industry, and others working in related office jobs or as ground crew, with a select few going on join the elite in the RAF.
Any further info. re Donald McKay would therefore be most welcome, esp. any correspondence between him and the firm of A.J. Holladay & Co. Ltd..

Many thanks,
                              Graham Bailey  -  Essex

Hi, just found this, I am another nephew of Uncle Donald, I also have the photo at Buck house :)
Its great to hear the connections with Skybirds as my Grandfather (his younger brother Noel,also RAF,as all 3 brothers were) would always talk about Skybirds and the brothers love of them as he helped me with my Airfix kits :)
 If by any chance you re visit this site please reply,would love to get in touch and fill in a few more details.

Offline chippy flier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Monday 31 October 11 23:45 GMT (UK) »

@ Random electron
Wow, meet a relative within five minutes of joining the site. :)
 I suppose we are cousins of some sort ..... Donald Mckay is my Great Uncle too.
 If we find someway to connect via this I have stacks of stuff on Don, Roy and Noel (my grandad,the baby brother of the 3 ) including a rather fantastic photo of our Uncle Donald in flying gear taking a sneaky whizz against the ready hut wall :)
 Of course it goes without saying (and much appreciated Kyt for your discretion) that Im not going to reveal much on here ( nothing juicy folks,just pvt family stuff) but reasonable requests Im open to.
 All the best and regards to the family.
 Kai.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the experts have anything on a cousin Flt Lt (or FO) George C H Birchall RCAF kia 31 Oct 1941, listed on the Runnymede Memorial such as squadron, circumstances of his death?  He is commemorated on his family grave stone in Fergus Ontario.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »

@ Random electron
Wow, meet a relative within five minutes of joining the site. :)
 I suppose we are cousins of some sort ..... Donald Mckay is my Great Uncle too.
 If we find someway to connect via this I have stacks of stuff on Don, Roy and Noel (my grandad,the baby brother of the 3 ) including a rather fantastic photo of our Uncle Donald in flying gear taking a sneaky whizz against the ready hut wall :)
 Of course it goes without saying (and much appreciated Kyt for your discretion) that Im not going to reveal much on here ( nothing juicy folks,just pvt family stuff) but reasonable requests Im open to.
 All the best and regards to the family.
 Kai.
Glad you have found a rellie and got some information.. good for you both...
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the experts have anything on a cousin Flt Lt (or FO) George C H Birchall RCAF kia 31 Oct 1941, listed on the Runnymede Memorial such as squadron, circumstances of his death?  He is commemorated on his family grave stone in Fergus Ontario.
Ah hes listed as RAF not RCAF so you will have to contact the RAF records system:
Name: BIRCHALL, GEORGE COLQUHOUN HAMILTON
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: 220 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 31/10/1941
Service No: 42789
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 29.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Its worth starting here: www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
From RAF Coastal Command Losses, Vol 1

No.220 Sqn
Hudson V
AM618

NR-M

Op: South Stab Patrol, RAF Wick, Took off at 16:06 hrs

F/O G C H Birchall
P/O J P Croker
Sgt A McK Barr
Sgt G L D Bailey

Failed to return after sending an SOS. All are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Regards
Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline paulcheall

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad's WW2 memoir at www.fightingthrough.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Visitors to my Dad's ww2 diary web site can search on names on the site which is almost 200 assorted names of people Dad was in touch with during the war, mostly comrades from dUNKIRK, North Africa, Sicily and Normandy.

Most are army but there are a few airforce. People with a particular interest in the RAF might like to view the pages at http://www.fightingthrough.co.uk/#/lily-mars/4553670831 which is the tragic yet heart-warming tale of RAF Lancaster LL678, fondly known as the Lily Mars.

Paul

PS - the crew were mixed nationality including British, Canadian and Australian
Editing Dad's WW2 diary at www.fightingthrough.co.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dee and Ross.  Interesting regarding his nationality.  He was born in Canada, of Canadian parents and hence my assumption he was RCAF.  Nonetheless, thank you for the additional info.  MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia