Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141612 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #333 on: Saturday 24 December 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dee

His name was James Allen Nicholson, aged about 38 - 40 and he was stationed around Letchworth/Hitchin.
He returned to Canada in 1946, but he was not in the RCAF.

What he did in the Airforce is unknown, also where he was from in Canada.

I realise this is very little to go on but wondered if there is any way of finding out whether he was in the RAF or USAAF.

Mike

Hi Mike
It was not unusual or uncommon for Canadians to be in the RAF.  It was a little more unusual for them to be in the USAAF.  Do the Canadians have the equivalent of Rootschat because finding out where he came from in Canada would be a huge help though he might have born in England and moved there when young... Nicholson is not a rare name unfortunately.  I am thinking that he may have been at Bassingbourn (which is not too far from Hitchin!) but that was both British and later American forces during the war... Was he there during the latter end of the war because if so it was more likely to be USAAF.  Are there letters or something which gives you the idea he was in that area?
Sorry for not being much help.  Might be worth putting something in RAF Commands forum too if you havent already done so.
Best wishes
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Saturday 24 December 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello.I know you have a lot to do,but there is no rush for my reply.the national achives are a nightmare for me ,i go round and round get fed up and leave.would love your help for any papers they have of
     Sgt WW Cottle RAFVR KILLED IN MID AIR COLLISION  IN A HALIFAX 22/23 NOVEMBER 1943
 his aircraft was a halifax LW 264 KN-K 77 Sqdn,and collided with a halifax from 102 sqdn  aircraft  over newlands farm in yorkshire.there is no rush as I have waited a long time.Thanks.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Sunday 25 December 11 09:50 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful thread (which I have only just come across),

If anyone has time there are a few things (mainly abbreviations) from my father's RAF record which have puzzled me since obtaining it years ago, they are not too important but it would help me to fill out my knowledge of him:

Posting reason codes: HH, H, B, G3 and S3

a2Q (P3) W pack only

PPX in promotions record

where /what were 3, 19 and 27 General Hospitals in North Africa (probably Egypt)

WSI

G Bench (reason for losing 1 days service)

Does anyone have a record of the 3 NCOs and 5 airmen of 47 squadron who were in the people lining the coronation route in May 1937.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Sunday 25 December 11 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please help me find details about Basil Bennett  ( my uncle ).  He  was a technical officer on RADAR.  He was based in Inverness at some point.  but I believe he had responsibility  for   certain technical equipments in the Northern Scotland and  Northern Ireland  sector  so would travel to a number of the stations.  I think that he was a commissioned officer.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Sunday 25 December 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
@Edwardo try www.rafcommands.com/forum as they have some experts on there as I am not sure what is happening with Kyt at the moment. 
@Pejic Some of the codes have been losts in the mists of time but it might be worth contacting the RAF Museum.  As far as the General Hospitals are concerned it might be worth doing a search on ww2 talk forum as I seem to remember a thread on there about North African Hospitals. If not come back to me and I will put a thread on for you.
@Scouseboy might be worth you going for Basils service record (see previous comments on this thread).  It would help if you knew his DOB for that purpose.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Sunday 25 December 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dee, all hospitals located.

I'll try the RAF museum, the place I got the records (suspect it was Kew, but it was a long time ago) couldn't/wouldn't help.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Well done Pejic.  If its not on one of the forums it might be worth starting a thread in case someone else is looking for similar information.  Good luck with the other stuff.  Let us know how you get on.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Friday 30 December 11 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello.I know you have a lot to do,but there is no rush for my reply.the national achives are a nightmare for me ,i go round and round get fed up and leave.would love your help for any papers they have of
     Sgt WW Cottle RAFVR KILLED IN MID AIR COLLISION  IN A HALIFAX 22/23 NOVEMBER 1943
 his aircraft was a halifax LW 264 KN-K 77 Sqdn,and collided with a halifax from 102 sqdn  aircraft  over newlands farm in yorkshire.there is no rush as I have waited a long time.Thanks.
Hi Edwardo, the following information you may have......
Pilot Officer William Waterson Cottle   22/11/43.
Info says he was 102 Squadron so strange that you say he was in a 77 squadron Halifax and collided with a 102 Squadron Halifax.

Sorry dont know anymore but someone surely will. Source, Chorley, Bomber Command losses Roll of Honour.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Friday 30 December 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for reply welwyngc1.hope your right about more replys.thanks.Edd