Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141655 times)

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #360 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark could you look up info concerning the following person

Flight Sergeant Thomas Victor Bradley service no° 1259352 shot down over Holland 31st August 1943. RAF 76 Squadron.
Many thanks
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline morbital

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Andrew Chobaniuk
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Monday 23 July 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev

The aircraft was Wellington X Serial number MF116 belonging to 26 Operational Training Unit.

It took off at 18.05 for an evening cross-country training exercise. Shortly before 23.40, the pilot made a distress call before crashing at Holt Farm, Sketchley, on the south side of Hinckley. Both Canadians rest at Chester (Blacon) Cemetery, while the others were  claimed by their relatives.

F/O N Chobaniuk RCAF
Sgt L G Good
Sgt J S Gunn
Sgt J W McMurdo RCAF
Sgt J Thompson
Sgt C D Parker

The actual reason for the crash doesn't seem to have been established.

HTH

K

EDIT: As a Flying Officer, Chobaniuk, may already have done a tour of duty. I shall ask the Canadian exports on rafcommands if the have any further info on him

Thanks for posting this, Nick Chobaniuk was my great uncle :)

My family had received a DVD with footage of the dedication ceremony of the memorial plaque as well as a local news story clip, I have uploaded both to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29UOYuIy9o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHxF1b3RUAA
Chobaniuk, Fowler

Offline jath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Friday 27 July 12 03:10 BST (UK) »
I would love some help in finding out information on Eric Edward Frisby, Royal Air Force 1054490, who was my grandfather.
There are so many questions I should have asked my grandmother before she passed away at the grand age of 94. I came across a photo of his grave and felt I needed to keep alive the final inscribed words of "treasured memories" now my grandmother has gone. My mother would like to know more details of her father's life and my three children have asked so many questions that I cannot answer about the person they see in the one photo we have.
I know he was a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner and killed in a plane crash on the Isle of Man on 9th September 1941. I have no other details of the accident. What was he doing on the Isle of Man? What did he do before that? My mother tells me she thinks there was another plane crash before he was relocated to Jerby. Any information of any kind would be so lovely to have and to share.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Friday 27 July 12 03:56 BST (UK) »
Eric was buried at CHAPEL ALLERTON (ST. MATTHEW) OLD CHURCHYARD, Yorkshire. He was the son of William J. Frisby and Annie E. Frisby, of Leeds; husband of Dorothy Frisby. Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Offline jath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Friday 27 July 12 04:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this quick response. My mother, who still lives in England, has been to visit the grave at Chapel Allerton. I live in Australia now and recently came across a beautiful photo of his grave:

www.flickr.com/photos/gabobarreto/5433634571.

I would so love to know more about my grandfathers service history - his squadron, type of plane flown, details of any missions and the two crashes if anyone can help.

Offline HollyBlue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Friday 27 July 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Kyt

I'm looking for information on my second cousin Eric Chadwick Flying Officer 157671 144 Squadron who died 26th April 1945, shot down over Norway (i think).  I've looked him up in the RAF Bomber Command Losses 1945, by W R Chorley and was disappointed that there was no mention of him.  I wonder if it is because he flew a Mosquito which is a fighter/bomber plane and so he was thought more of as a fighter pilot than a bomber pilot.  I wonder if you would be good enough to look him up in your fighter pilot book and if not could you let me know the name and author of this book.  Thank you in anticipation.

Jane

Online rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Friday 27 July 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
He was Coastal Command so not covered by Chorley.

I've given details of the loss on your other thread.

You can download the relevant section of the Operations Record Book at The National Archives for the month of the loss for £3.50 his other operations can be found by back tracking months.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline HollyBlue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Saturday 28 July 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for your help.  I'm now getting nearer to finding out more about  him.  Just found a photograph from Imperial War Museum HU93035 of the plane he was flying, Beaufighter MkX Serial NV182 on a mission over Flekkefjord/Bevigan Bay, Norway, just before his plane plunged into the sea.  I can't believe it!  I feel so proud and quite emotional.  I know members of my family are very interested in seeing this photo.  Thanks again.

Jane

Offline Jen14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Sunday 05 August 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information that you might have on a crew from 158 Sqn RAF who flew out of Lissett in Halifax Mk III LV946 NP-K. My grand father F/O Ronald Stakes (132016) was the rear gunner the night they were to attack Tergnier, France (18 April 1944) and crashed near Ly-Fontaine.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ron,

My grandad, Philip Dowdeswell, was from the same squadron and crashed in Erches (Somme). It sounds like they may have been on the same plane? He survived the crash and went into hiding nearby for some time before being captured and taken as a prisoner of war. I have some of his diary entries as well as letters from some of the people who helped him after the crash.

Would be great to hear from you and share information,

Jen