Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141633 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for any additional service info on:
William Edward Smith, RAF volunteer reserve (1018219, 38 sqdn). Died 22 March 1942 age 29. Son of William and Margaret Smith of Cardiff. Remembered at the Alamein memorial (CWGC site).
Thanks,
Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline lancman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Thursday 08 November 12 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a fair collection books on the Commonwealth Air Forces for the WW2 period and if anyone would like any assistance, or a look up, please ask. For example (just a sample):

Honour The Air Forces - a complete register of all gallentry awards to RAF and Commonwealth airmen (except MiD) with date, unit and LG reference

Bomber Command and Fighter Command Losses of WW2

A number of squadron histories

Unsung Heroes - a register of all RAF etc POWs in the Far East

Several books on the RAF in the Far East (an area that is particularly difficult to research for airmen casualties)

etc

Just thought I'd mention it  :)

K

Offline lancman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Thursday 08 November 12 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a fair collection books on the Commonwealth Air Forces for the WW2 period and if anyone would like any assistance, or a look up, please ask. For example (just a sample):

Honour The Air Forces - a complete register of all gallentry awards to RAF and Commonwealth airmen (except MiD) with date, unit and LG reference

Bomber Command and Fighter Command Losses of WW2

A number of squadron histories

Unsung Heroes - a register of all RAF etc POWs in the Far East

Several books on the RAF in the Far East (an area that is particularly difficult to research for airmen casualties)

etc

Just thought I'd mention it  :)

K

Offline lancman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Thursday 08 November 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
hi kyt.-Doing research re two members of 630 Sqdrn East Kirkby. S/Ldr Clifford Rogers DFC ,Pilot, & F/Sgt William E J Cox DFM Flight Engineer.Both in the same crew.
Is it possible to trace both citations as they may have been awarded for the same action. They both survived a tour with 630, I understand, but Bill Cox went to 1654 HCU at RAF Wigsley. He was a Staff Flight Engineer flying with a u/t Engineer in a Stirling aircraft LJ630 which crashed shortly after take off .There were no survivors.
31/08/1944.
A crew photograph of Cliff Rogers ,including Bill Cox, would be fantastic.

My 'pioneering ' post.

Best Wishes
Lancman. :) :)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Friday 09 November 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
There isnt a specific 630 Sqn Assn but you might like to contact the 57 Sqn Assn as they cover 630 too.  Will pm the details to you :)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline msimp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Saturday 10 November 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Lancman,
From Ian Tavender's 'The Distinguished Flying Medal Register For The Second World War',Volume 1,page 429;
Cox,William Edwin John.1607195 Flight Sergeant.No.630 Squadron.
L.G.13/10/1944.Sorties 30 and two thirds.Flying hours 203.25.Flight Engineer.
Flight Sergeant Cox,a Flight Engineer,has successfully completed 32 sorties against heavily defended and difficult targets in Germany and occupied territory.These include 7 attacks on Berlin,3 on Frankfurt and 2 on Leipzig and others on Augsburg,Schweinfurt,Nuremburg and Annecy. Throughout his tour,Flight Sergeant Cox has been a member of an outstandingly efficient crew the excellence of whose performance has been due in part,at least,to his enthusiasm and skill.On one occasion while he was taking off in a fully laden Lancaster on a dark night,one engine caught fire as soon as the aircraft was airborne.By his coolness and promptitude in carrying out his Captain's instructions,Flight Sergeant Cox prevented any serious consequences to the accident.He has shown himself to be an enthusiastic and efficient Flight Engineer whose courage,determination and devotion to duty have been amply demonstrated during a very successful tour.He is strongly recommended for the non-immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
                                                         1st July 1944.
Afraid I can't help with Roger's D.F.C.citation-maybe someone has access to Nick and Carol Carter's book on the subject.
How much information are you looking for ?I have the 630 Squadron Operational Record Book if you are after sortie details.
Hope this is of interest,
Regards,Mark Simpson.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kyt,

On behalf of Moseley School, Birmingham, I am researching the 96 names inscribed on the school war memorial.

Please can you tell me anything about the loss of 1575629 Flt/Sgt Kenneth William Adams of 114 Sqdn, KIA 16 May 1944 and buried in Caserta War Cntery, Italy?

Keith

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Monday 19 November 12 05:18 GMT (UK) »
P/O Stanley Herbert FITZHENRY, Navigator, R.A.A.F. (Killed)
P/O S. H. Fitzhenry of the R.A.A.F. was killed.  Again, I am not aware of any award presented to him.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Carleton
Ottawa, Canada

For your record, an extract from the RAAF Nominal Roll

"Service Record
Name    FITZHENRY, STANLEY HERBERT
Service    Royal Australian Air Force
Service Number    410475
Date of Birth    13 Aug 1919
Place of Birth    RICHMOND, VIC
Date of Enlistment    30 Jan 1942
Locality on Enlistment    Unknown
Place of Enlistment    MELBOURNE, VIC
Next of Kin    FITZHENRY, HERBERT
Date of Death    2 Jan 1945
Rank    Pilot Officer
Posting on Death    405 (RCAF) SQDN
WW2 Honours and Gallantry    None for display
Prisoner of War    No
Roll of Honour    HAWTHORN VIC"

EDO

Offline Dynamite Gang

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • French Historian WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Sunday 23 December 12 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information that you might have on a crew from 158 Sqn RAF who flew out of Lissett in Halifax Mk III LV946 NP-K. My grand father F/O Ronald Stakes (132016) was the rear gunner the night they were to attack Tergnier, France (18 April 1944) and crashed near Ly-Fontaine.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Jen and Ron you might like to look in a book called Footprints on the Sands of Time by Oliver Clutton-Brock if he was a POW...Its all about Bomber Command POWs.
Dee

Ron,

My grandad, Philip Dowdeswell, was from the same squadron and crashed in Erches (Somme). It sounds like they may have been on the same plane? He survived the crash and went into hiding nearby for some time before being captured and taken as a prisoner of war. I have some of his diary entries as well as letters from some of the people who helped him after the crash.

Would be great to hear from you and share information,

Jen
Hello Ron and Jen,

I am a french teacher and historian. The city hall of Ly-Fontaine asked me to write the story for the news bulletin. I hope that you will see my message. You can contact me via msn.

Regards

Phil