Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141585 times)

Offline Zuluss12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #414 on: Monday 03 November 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that - my first attempt so just getting to understand how this works - apologies!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zuluss and Carleton...

It was Dillonking who was asking about T V Bradley..see quote below.

Milly

Hello Mark could you look up info concerning the following person

Flight Sergeant Thomas Victor Bradley service no° 1259352 shot down over Holland 31st August 1943. RAF 76 Squadron.
Many thanks

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Thursday 20 November 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I would be ever so grateful if you could try and find information about this father-son combination (my father and grandfather) who supposedly both were RAF members.

*John "Jack" Walter HAYCOCK, DOB 01 Dec 1901 Liverpool, LANC
Corporal - lived The Netherlands 1926 - 1932 - afterwards member Scots Guards (?)
Residing in Hounslow Middlesex

*Albert John Radcliffe "Raddy" HAYCOCK, DOB 21 Dec 1927 Greater London
Air Training Cadet in 1945, RAF service member during late Nineteen Fourties in Malaysia

They are both mentioned in a newspaper article in the Daily Mirror of 19 June 1945, due to the fact that my father apparently hitched rides with the US 95th Bomber Group from Heston aerodrome and other locations. The 95th BG Facebook site claims this never happened as they can't find proof, so I'm hoping you maybe can find some information on either that specific occurrence, or my grandfather and father in general.

Any information would be very much appreciated!  :)
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: Saturday 10 January 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I would be glad for any information about Christopher Mark Handley of the 156 squadron no 15628
I believe he was killed in 1944 over Holland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups & Christopher Mark Handley
« Reply #418 on: Saturday 10 January 15 16:37 GMT (UK) »
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: Sunday 11 January 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I would very much appreciate any information you might have on a disaster which occurred on 14 September 1945 in Bodmin Cornwall when an RAF aircraft carrying members of 644 Squadron crashed. One report states that the date was 19 September. All six crew were killed. They were: Bailey, Briggs, Garnett, Mathias, Ormesher and Reardon. Many thanks.

Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: Sunday 11 January 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks His father was vicar at the church so I expect it was he who put the memorial of the second link there. How very sad that it is no more unless by any chance The Bible was passed on to one of his living relatives I hope so . He is loosly connected to my tree through his mother but having found him I want to keep his memory alive.
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Sunday 11 January 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I would very much appreciate any information you might have on a disaster which occurred on 14 September 1945 in Bodmin Cornwall when an RAF aircraft carrying members of 644 Squadron crashed. One report states that the date was 19 September. All six crew were killed. They were: Bailey, Briggs, Garnett, Mathias, Ormesher and Reardon. Many thanks.

Chirp

From "The Price of Peace - A Catalogue of RAF Aircraft Losses Between VE-Day and End of 1945" by Cummings:

14 September 1945
Halifax PN305 644 Squadron.
Bolventor Cornwall

The aircraft was en-route from its base at RAF Tarrant Rushton to the Azores and was carrying a crew of 7 and 14 passengers. Due to an electrical failure, the dingy inflation valve was activated and the dingy blew up, came out of its wing stowage and fouled the tailplane assembly, restricting the elevators. The pilot lost control and the aircraft dived into the ground. This was almost a repeat of an accident reported earlier in the book. The local press reports, and the initial reports in the Accident Card, indicates that there were only 12 fatalities but the list below confirms the true scale of this tragedy. Additionally, some reports suggested that there were WAAF's aboard the aircraft but this was not so. By a stroke of fate, one of those on board the aircraft lived in the area of the accident and his death is registered in his home parish.

Flight Sergeant Clifford William AKERS
Flying Officer Peter Stafford BRIGGS
Flight Lieutenant Jeremiah Charles GARNETT
Flight Sergeant William MATHIAS
Flight Lieutenant Geoffrey Percival ORMESHER
Aircraftman 2nd Class Alan Ralph TITFORD
Flight Lieutenant Gerald Theodore BAILEY DFC
Flying Officer Alan John REARDON
Leading Aircraftman Leonard Roy Victor COX
Aircraftman 1st Class Patrick FITZGIBBON
Leading Aircraftman Cecil Everard Charles HOBOROUGH
Leading Aircraftman Roy William NICHOLLS
Corporal Henry Phillip MILLS
Leading Aircraftman Selwyn THOMAS
Leading Aircraftman Thomas Smith WALLACE
Leading Aircraftman Ernest Raymond RICHINGS
Leading AircraftmanStanley PRICE
Aircraftman 2nd Class Dennis MARTIN
Leading Aircraftman Edward Joseph LYNOTT
Leading Aircraftman Edwin Arthur George PETTIFER
Aircraftman 2nd Class Robert OWEN

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Sunday 11 January 15 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Spikey for this information. So many lives lost, how tragic, and the war had ended it was a complete accident. Very sad. My relative was Geoffrey Percival Ormesher, he was 22. I really appreciate your reply and I am happy that I can add the details to Geoffrey's page on my family history database.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields