Author Topic: Rickmansworth parish lookup for DYER please  (Read 2706 times)

Offline BananaLu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rickmansworth parish lookup for DYER please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I know this might be coming a few years after the original post, but I'm just wondering who you are, Dadclegg? If you're looking for Sophia Dyer's mother etc then I think we're related as Sophia was my great great great grandmother!  :)  I haven't managed to get back beyond the fact that Sophia's father was George either. I'd like to know why she called her daughter Zana and why that name has been carried forward through successive generations since, right through to me and my daughter. I'd like to know where she originally got her inspiration! If you know more that would be great!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi BananaLu

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

According to his profile, dadclegg hasn't been online here since 2008.

A long as his email address hasn't changed, he should receive email notifications that we have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dadclegg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bananalu,
Wow i'd forgotton all about this site. Sorry i hav'nt made any progress where Sophia is concerned, it became to frustrating and i gave up on that part of the family, but i will go back to it one day. Sophia is also my 3xgreatgrandmother on my fathers side so i suppose e should be of the same generation. I have no idea where the name Zana comes from, it stopped on my side at my ggrandmother Zana Harrington. My grandmother was Sybil Frostick, who married William Lewis.  My name is Deborah Clegg ( nee Lewis ) by the way. So which branch of the family are you from?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deborah

Welcome back  ;D

Happy hunting to you and BananaLu

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline BananaLu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb
Well as you've guessed I'm Zana and I think we're probably about the same age. I turned 50 last week. I'm getting really confused about all this family tree stuff but here goes... Zana Harrington Brewer (nee Finlayson) was my gg grandmother so Sophia Dyer is my ggg grandmother. My mum is daughter of Katherine L G Salmon (nee Frostick). Katherine's parents were Herbert J Frostick and Lilian Zana Harrington Brewer. LZHB's parents were Zana Finlayson and Thomas Harrington, and as you know, Zana Finlayson's mum was Sophia Dyer. I think that means that your grandmother and my grandmother were sisters. I'm sure I've heard my mum mention Aunty Sybil and I think that means our parents are 1st cousins. I'm sure they know each other but perhaps haven't been in contact for many years. My tree is on Genes Reunited and you're welcome to look at it. It's quite incomplete when it got to fillling in all the bros/sis of my grandmother! I think there were 13 born, 11 survived but may have got that wrong. I know my mum had about 27 cousins so quite hard to keep up with everyone! The Zana name was continued into your grandparents' generation via "Sissy". Her real name was Annie Zana, born about 1910 or 1911. Apparently my grandmother used to refer to her as her little sissy and the name stuck. My mum's generation didn't have the name but I do and my daughter does. Apparently it's given to the first dark-eyed girl in each generation, but I don't know how true that is. My daughter was born dark but went blond at 6 months and stayed that way so although she is a Zana (middle name) she's blond (under the dye!) and blue-eyed! It's a good story and I like my name but I feel frustrated that we can't trace where it comes from in the first place. We've found meanings and connections with Persia, Romania and Arabic languages and apparently Lilian Zana HB was quite dark and looked foreign but that's not where the trail is leading! If you want to chat more it's probably best to email off-list but not sure how we do email addresses without sharing to the world!? You could Google me if you want to. I'm an antenatal teacher!
Zana

Sophia is also my 3xgreatgrandmother on my fathers side so i suppose e should be of the same generation. I have no idea where the name Zana comes from, it stopped on my side at my ggrandmother Zana Harrington. My grandmother was Sybil Frostick, who married William Lewis.  My name is Deborah Clegg ( nee Lewis ) by the way. So which branch of the family are you from?
[/quote]