Author Topic: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth  (Read 49047 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
and the final instalment;

The hospital is described in T. Bulmer's History and Directory (1887) as 'a very effective structure, with a white fire brick casing, adjoining the Mechanics' Institute' in Beaconsfield Street. It was designed to accommodate eight bed-patients in two wards on the upper floor while on the ground floor were a large committee room, a waiting room, dispensary, two consulting rooms, a kitchen and offices. During 1913 there were 82 in-patients and 620 out-patients. In 1896 a marble bust of Dr. Gilbert Ward was placed in the entrance hall, the doctor having died in 1894.

In 1922 the Thomas Knight Memorial Hospital was enlarged, thanks to the Red Cross and the blyth War Memorial Fund, which provided the money. The re-opening ceremony was performed by Viscountess Ridley. Finally in 1948 the Hospital was absorbed into the National Health Service. Mrs. Knight's £6000 is still earning interest for the work. 

Returning to provision for the fever cases, the old Cottage Hospital seems to have continued in use as an isolation hospital from 1888 (when the Knight Memorial took over its other functions) until 1893, when the Blyth Port Sanitary Authority opened their Infectious Diseases Hospital at Old Factory Point (so named from a chemical factory manufacturing alkalis and vitriol which failed there in 1836). The Isolation Hospital closed about 1938.

Dr. Gilbert Ward not only established public medical services in Blyth and stood by to give aid during the terrible pit disaster at New Hartley in 1862. An F. R. C. S., he was Medical Officer for the Tynemouth Board of Guardians; District Vaccinator; Certifying Factory Surgeon; Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths for Blyth; and latterly Chairman of the Blyth Local Board. He was a Trustee of the Blyth Mechanics Institute, a founder of the Blyth Harbour & Dock Companyand later a member of the Blyth Harbour Commission. He owned shares in several Blyth ships. His son Dr. Henry De Bord Ward was Acting Surgeon and Medical Officer at the Knight Memorial Hospital and would doubtless have succeeded Dr. Gilbert had he not pre-deceased him in 1891. His daughter married Willaim Hannay Watts, a member of a local shipping family. On one occasion Dr. Gilbert had the honour of entertaining Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, a son of Queen Victoria, at his home in Bridge Street.

On the day of Dr. Gilbert Ward's funeral police were out to control the crowds, many shops and places of business closed, blinds were drawn at the Hospital, the Mechanics Institute and the banks. Among the wreaths was one from the French Government.

Sources: John Wallace, History of Blyth (1869) & Kelly's Directory (1914)
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Knight Memorial Hospital was demolished to make way for the new Thomas Knight care home facility. Such a shame that another old building of Blyth has been lost in the name of progress. One would have thought that they might have been able to keep and incorporate the original frontage given that it is within the Blyth Conservation Area. It was a pleasing structure. The new building which replaced it and opened in 2003 can be seen here;

http://www.tth-architects.co.uk/?pid=41&ct=p&cid=14

P

The hospital was on the east most side Beaconsfield Street. The building gable on the left is the back wall of the old Mechanics Institute / today's Library.

Nice to know that William George Armstrong of Crag Side House was involved.
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Fancy putting up such an eyesore of a building in place of such a lovely piece of architechture.  I bet the new building is not there as long as the old one>

Barbara.
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
Such a mine of useful information re the Thomas Knight Memorial Hospital.  I did not know it had been demolished.  How many of us in here were patients (as children) to have their tonsils removed ? And the treat afterwards, probably the day after the op. - jelly and ice cream.  A few years after the war I suppose that was a luxury for many of us.  It is still a vivid memory recovering after the op and coming out of the anaesthetic - vomiting, vomiting, and bringing nothing up but bile, plus the smell of the ether.  Happy Days ??   I don't think so.  It seemed to be a normal course for Blyth children to have their tonsils removed, yet having lived in various parts of the country, it was not the norm in other areas. I was also a patient in my early teens when there were 2 Polish and 1 Dutch sailors in the ward at the same time. They were from the herring boats and had been injured whilst at sea.

Offline jinny come lately

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 00:51 BST (UK) »
I  remember vividly having my tonsils out at the 'Knight Memorial' and  having free ice cream afterwards from someone from the Seghini family who brought in a huge trayful.

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 07:57 BST (UK) »
My mother had a spell in a scarlet fever hospital in 1920s.  She lived in Throckley.  Which hospital would she go to? ???

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
I  remember vividly having my tonsils out at the 'Knight Memorial' and  having free ice cream afterwards from someone from the Seghini family who brought in a huge trayful.
Me too  :)
I had scarlet fever, probably in the early 40s, and I stayed at home, we were still living with grandparents in Marine Terrace. Perhaps the hospital had been closed then.
I was put in a room with a disinfected curtain over the door, and was quarantined for 6 weeks.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this topic, particularly as I have worked out that "Mrs Knight" per posts #34 -#36 is my great-great-great-great-aunt:

Thomas Knight (widower, master mariner), of age, of South Blyth, son of George Knight (butcher), married Margaret Hogg (spinster), of age, of South Blyth, daughter of Thomas Hogg (farmer) Witnesses: Thomas Hogg, Clement Kell.  Source: Durham Records Online and Free Reg.

Margaret's niece was called Margaret Knight Bennett - so I know now where that name comes from in the family.  It is helping me connect a lot of dots.  Lots of probate information making sense and making more family connections through this information. It is a great example of how the wider clan helps you understand your more direct relatives.

Also as a health professional it is very interesting.

Had also just come across the Lady Ridley mentioned in other family history - so thank you  :) :) :)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful stuff Nova67. Glad the info has at last had a beneficial use rather than just conversational.  ;D

Thank you.

Philip