Author Topic: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth  (Read 49054 times)

Offline allanh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
Please accept my apologies for going slightly off-topic , but I think it's useful to comment on Nova67's 'naming' comment (see below) from last October (2016?):

Nova67's COMMENT: It is interesting with the Northumbrian tradition of surname as middle name that I have found a few examples of it being attributed to an Uncle by marriage.  Sometimes it is the mother's maiden name, or something much more complicated.  Often the Aunt and Uncle by marriage might be childless.  I guess it was a way of honoring them and still carrying on a family name.  Then this middle name might be passed down to successive generations - totally baffling the family historian ???  Check out those side arms of the tree ;D
Many thanks to you Philip!

MY COMMENT: I mentioned my mother, Eva, and her brother, Billy (my uncle), in my previous-but-one post. My Uncle's full name was William Powell Cornick, as was my grandfather's name. My grandfather's sisters' names were Emma Powell Cornick and Emily Powell Cornick; 'Powell' was NOT as such a surname, and the 'Powell' naming tradition went back (I think) at least another two generations. As to my COUSIN Billy's full name ... I'm sure that you can guess!

Regards,
AllanH.

PS. Just recalled two memories that mum (Eva) told me (I guess around 1930):
(1) My mum's family used to go to Blyth beach (sand dunes, not cliffs). They would bring sandwiches with them and purchase a tray of tea from a nearby large building called 'Links House'.
(2) My mother used to visit her granny at Seaton Sluice near Blyth. There, she and her cousins would play on a rock that they called 'St. Mary's Island' - ring any bells? Googling has brought up nothing.
I promise not to post off-topic again, honest!

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
You'll find more about Link House, including photo, on this thread -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=488089.msg6027370#msg6027370

St. Mary's Island has a lighthouse on it - midway between Seaton Sluice and Whitley Bay

Christine

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have family associations with Blyth Link House, Laverock Hall Farm, Stickley Farm (Sticklee Farm) and my great-great-great grandfather Timothy Potts Bennett was Superintendent of the Blyth and Newsham Cemeteries.  Some of my family were born at the Cemetery.
Were these cemeteries separate?
Still wondering how the Potts name came about?!

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Just to add, St Mary's Island was historically called Bates Island.

St. Mary's Island was originally called Bates Island, Hartley Bates or Bates Hill as it was originally owned by the Bates family who were prominent locally. - Wikipedia

The Blyth & Newsham Cemetery is on Link Road (near to where Link House was), long before Blyth became a singular town, it was divided Newsham & South Blyth and Cowpen to the north :)

More info here: http://northumberlandpast.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/link-house-blyth.html

I have familial links to that building too, though far more recent.

Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
allanh, Re Seaton Sluice, if you visited the 'rock' there, I would think it would be by using the footbridge in the harbour area; cross the footbridge and there was a pub on the other side. Go down the grassy slope and onto the rocks below.  I used to go there in the 1950s.  The view northwards was towards Blyth, and the view west was of the entrance to Seaton Sluice harbour.  Hopefully, that will clarify things. ;)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 30 March 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Allanh - if your relatives were visiting in Seaton Sluice it's a long way to walk to St. Mary's Island.
Though not quite so unusual to walk that far in those days.
My friend and I use to visit her Auntie Jane at Seaton Sliuce, and played on the rocks in Collywell Bay. There's a large rock there called Charlie's Garden, which has shrunk over the years.
http://www.superstoked.me/charlies-garden-collywell-bay-seaton-sluice-superstoked/
When I was a child it was in 2 parts close together and the dare was to jump from one to the other. I never did it.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Blythian and phodgetts.