Author Topic: 1841 /51 census look up please for Barrass  (Read 5829 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 /51 census look up please for Barrass
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
On the IGI the only christening for John Barras in Long Benton is member submitted -so if it is that one you are using treat with extreme caution.

John (if we have the correct family) consistently gives his p.o.b. as Durham

The member submitted record states Lambton Park - which is in the parish of Chester le Street which is given on the extracted record.

Ill look for a John Barras b. Long Benton on the census

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 11:09 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any John barrass b. Long Benton

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
I think you are right Suz so it must be one of those bap in durham which i will have a look later.    Thank you so much.  Regards Gladys :)

Offline Joybug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 September 08 01:18 BST (UK) »
I have a John Barrass  [dob Nov 7 1890 Longbenton]in my family tree. He was married to Elizabeth Manuel dob 1795-96 in Earsdon.
They had 9 children -names match yours -in total including my GG grandfather Matthew Barrass born 1835 Longbenton and married to Ann Isabell Bell born Gosforth Northumberland.
Joyce

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 September 08 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Joyce,
You say John Barrass born 1890 Longbenton which i gather you meant 1790, never mind.    I have John Barrass born 1792 at Durham Lambton married Elizabeth Atkinson but i could have the wrong wife,  i left off that family to go to another one and others and i haven`t got back to Barrass yet.  Have you read the other posts what i got sent with census.

Have you found a bap for John`s father in Longbenton.  I will see if i can get back to doing some research as at the minute i am busy with my Cornwall familys.  Its never ending.

Regards Gladys.

Offline Joybug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 September 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
Whoops Yes I did mean 1790. Shouldn't be in such a hurry to write so late at night.

I have a John Barras (s) christened July 5 1767 Christ Church Tynemouth who is the father of the John we are talking about. The John senior was married to Jane  Crammon March 3 1787 and had 4 children
James,  Christened Dec 10 1787
John      Christened Nov 7 1790  married Elizabeth Manuel
Margaret  born 1792 christened Aug 24 1793
Mary born 1794 christened Oct 31 1795 - married to a Robert Forster
However I could be wrong too since I don't have a 100 % assurance on it because the film was corrupt.

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 September 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Joyce,
I have looked on the parish registers from bishop transcripts for Longbenton and there was no John Barrass/Barass 1788-94, John says he was born Durham Lambton in 1861 census repeats Durham in 1851/71 census so i checked the baptisms Chester Le St and found 1792 July 15 John son of James Barrass of Lumley Park Pitman & Jane.

The marriage i have for John Barrass & Elizabeth Atkinson 1816 at Gateshead could be wrong they will be about 16 yrs so i think a birth certificate for one of their chidren would be best just given the fathers name and mother only Elizabeth.

Gladys :)