Author Topic: Brass Foundries in Birmingham Area  (Read 31684 times)

Offline Martinwootton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Foundries in Birmingham Area
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pauline. Fascinating stuff. My folk are not mentioned but Mr Winfield, the man he trained with, is, as the inventor of the 'double brass gas pipe'. It seems to have been the elite branch of the brass trade, gas chandelier making. Highly skilled, premium wages and artistic flair.
Gadd,Moss, Southall,Robinson,Thompson,Wootton,Liviter. Birmingham, Ireland, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Isle of Man.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Glad it helped a little :)

Offline Martinwootton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Foundries in Birmingham - Powell Bros
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been reading my Great Great Grandfather's Indenture binding him as apprentice to William & Thomas Powell Brassfounders of Birmingham '.. in the 55th Year of the reign of King George III...!" i.e. 1815 for 7 years!

His Dad was listed as Charles Parker the elder and he was Charles Parker the younger. They were said to have been 'of Lint House, Hill Top near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire'. Lint House or 'The Lint House' was, it seems, a Pub as his father was elsewhere said to have been a Victualler!

Can't find The Lint House later, though 'Hilltop' is part of the one time parish (?) of Lickey and various later maps show Linhouse Lane, later named Linthurst Lane as it is in now, in Blackwell.

I hope this may help you in your search but equally does anyone possibly have any foundation for me to support the above 'information'?

I know Charles went on to be a Brass Founder and Military ornament Manufacturer of 42 Cherry Street, Birmingham. He also patentent a whistle and made brass buttons as Merry Parker & Merry! He died in 1852 at his home on Gravelly Hill, Erdington.

Colin
My ancestor was in partnership with a Mr Powell making gas chandeliers in the middle of the 19th C. A directory of 1864 has a half page ad. for them at the Parade Works, 8a Parade. 20 Years with Mr Winfield.
Gadd,Moss, Southall,Robinson,Thompson,Wootton,Liviter. Birmingham, Ireland, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Isle of Man.

Offline soxie

• My email address is no longer working and I have tuned off notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 March 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »

My Great, Great grandfather JOSEPH TAYLOR BOTT was an Iron & Brass Bedstead maker in Birmingham in 1883 up to the 1900's. The works were "FALCON WORKS" Glover Street.

Any info on these works would be gladly received,

Thank you,
Latchford. Birmingham England.
Whale.            "                 "
Herbert.   London England.
Jeffries.    Aston, Birmingham England to Canada

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 March 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Soxie,
I couldn't find anything for you on google books; but I wondered if you had seen this:

http://www.oldcopper.org/Marks%20o_p.htm

Still looking for you - I'll be back if I find anything else.
Paulene :)

Offline aniron77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi   I am "chasing"  an iron bedstead maker/manufacturer in the Kings Norton area. The lass Emily Kelley of KN was a bedstead japanner 1870's  So am trying to find where she may have worked

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 August 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

My convict Stephen Allwood from Birmingham was a Brass Founder in the 1820s.  One of his brothers was a funeral director and others in the family were Coffin furniture makers and silver spoon polishers.  They all lived in what is known as the "jewellery area" of Birmingham which I understand still exists today.  Unfortunately a lot of the old buildings have been demolished to make way for the every increasing freeway system of roads in this congested area.

Andcarred
Brisbane Qld
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 August 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
- duplixated message... regrets! ;-)
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 August 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

... its actually called "The Jewelry Quarter". Its the area to the north west of of St Pauls Square, just north of the City Centre, see http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Great+Charles+Street+Queensway,+Birmingham,+West+Midlands+B3,+United+Kingdom&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.320488,29.970703&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FSjTIAMdIfbi_w&split=0&ll=52.486197,-1.90749&spn=0.003848,0.007317&t=k&z=17&lci=org.wikipedia.en

My Gt Grandfather and his history in Brass foundry in the area are detailed below but his daughter Maray Hannah PARKER took a part in the business between his death and her marriage to Dr Charles Yarwood. Her son Charles Parker Yarwood ran the business in due course tho his sons went to other lands and only one, Frank Noel Yarwood, returned to UK - his daughters live today (2009) in USA (2) and in UK (1)

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,