Author Topic: Blackhall Family  (Read 4905 times)

Offline lilun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nellie Grace Smith
    • View Profile
Blackhall Family
« on: Thursday 05 June 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to locate parents of:

George Blackhall b c1822 Boharm/Bellie Banff/Moray Scotland -
married Christina Williamson 1845 and had approx 11 children, some of which (along with their father George) emigrated to USA + Canada about 1870s.

I have a possible for parents:
George Blackhall + Helen McQuinchly - as listed on Moray Heritage site - have been in touch with them and unfortunately they have no further records for either

Any help would be appreciated

Deb
Lawton Lancashire + Canada...Blackhall Scotland + USA...Haddow UK...Smith Queensland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Blackhall Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp says that George Blackhall, born 1822, died on 15 December 1907. This being so, you should go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and download the image of his death certificate, which should tell you the names of his parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 23:39 BST (UK) »
some of which (along with their father George) emigrated to USA + Canada about 1870s.

So presumably George returned to Scotland sometime prior to his death in 1907
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 June 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
presumably George returned to Scotland

As LIBINDX says that he died at Blackdam, which is near Mosstodloch, it would appear that he did. Also he is recorded as having applied for assistance from the parish of Urquhart from 1898 onwards, which suggests that he was living there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lilun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nellie Grace Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 June 08 12:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for replying.

Forfarian - you are correct, Libindex has that info and have suggested similar -  they have searched their records including the 1851 census for Helen McQuinchley without success and suggested Scotlandspeople in the hope that she died after 1854.

CaroleW + Forfarian - from what I've found so far -

George Blackhall 1822 is showing on the Scottish 1861 + 1881 census. I've found a New York passenger listing for him and one of his sons, James, dated 1871. Then I have him on the 1901 Moray Scotland showing as 'Pauper' which ties in with what Libindex said. From what I can gather return sailings aren't listed so I don't think I'll be able to find anything other than what I have already as regards to his coming back.

I've also found several passenger listings for some of his other children along with US + Canadian census entries. Still on the trail of all of these!

I'm going to have to sign up with Scotlandspeople to see if I can trace his Mother and Father - not sure if the surname of his Mother is right tho as I don't seem to be able to find anything for that name

Again, many thanks to you both, I appreciate it

Deb

Lawton Lancashire + Canada...Blackhall Scotland + USA...Haddow UK...Smith Queensland

Offline lilun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nellie Grace Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 June 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
Have signed up to Scotlandspeople and have found and got copy of Georges death cert. Father is 'reputed' to be George Blackhall (shoemaker) - that ties in with Libindex  :) and Mother is Helen McQuichly - so spelling does appear to have been wrong but hey....I'm one step further!  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 June 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Father is 'reputed' to be George Blackhall

That means that he was illegitimate. The arrival of an illegitimate child usually attracted the attention of the Kirk Session, who would devote a good deal of effort to determining who the father was, and to getting both parents to do penance.

So if the Kirk Session minutes have survived, you might be able to glean some information from them - not least, they might resolve the question of where he was born.

The surviving Kirk Session minutes are in the National Archives of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk and are not online as far as I know, so you would need to find a researcher to go and look them up for you in Edinburgh.

Offline lilun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nellie Grace Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 June 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info - death cert said he was illegitimate but certainly didn't know about Kirk Session!
Seems like that maybes the end of my line  :-\ as far as George 1822 goes - have a possible on 'reputed' Father George but unsure as to whether to take it further at this time - need to look into it further.
I'm still a tad stumped on his Mother - Libindex had her as Helen McQuinchly - death cert has Helen McQuichly - and the more I look at it I'm not sure it's that! But will keep looking!
Thanks again

Deb