Author Topic: Identifying a Regiment  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Identifying a Regiment
« on: Thursday 05 June 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have an old photograph of a WWII army chap, an officer I imagine because he had a swagger stick (I think that is what they were called).    I do not know how to use the scanner BUT it struck me if I put his name on, some kind person may be able to look him up - the photo is bad anyway badgewise.    I remember this chap very well as he used to come and take me out as a young child about x 1 a year.

His name was Leslie Barber - born probably around 1919/20.   An officer - major, I think.   Probably a career soldier rather than hostilities only - not sure.   Not sure if it is relevant but he lived in Ewell, Surrey.

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 June 08 21:37 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that the best look up would be on an Army List of the period...Which i don't have but some libraries do!! 

Would be nice to see any pics you have though!!!

Have you any paperwork or other ephemera that may give us some clues for help...

The proper name for the stick is an Officers Cane....The Swagger Stick is more for the other ranks
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 June 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Scrimnet,

I am sorry I couldn't give you more info - I know nothing more about him .............However!!!   My husband has just pointed out to me that he had scanned the picture before the scanner started playing up and I will now make an all out attempt to attach it BUT it is not a good picture to try and identify anything from

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 June 08 00:46 BST (UK) »
Ah well...Just a vainglorious hope that we could see a cap badge... :-\

The Army List has officers listed alphabetically  by name and not Regt, and then it will also give a Regt...

Also the London Gazette, but I'm pants at finding people on there!!

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.aspx?GeoType=London

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 June 08 01:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for trying.

Is the Army List on line - if not, hope to go to the archives in November - will have a look then.

Sue

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 June 08 01:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for trying.

Is the Army List on line - if not, hope to go to the archives in November - will have a look then.

Sue

I think it may just be me with the London Gazette...It lists all military officers promotions and all major awards...

Someone on here may have a copy of some of the relevant lists....Some libraries also carry them, as well as a number of military museums...But I have seen nil copies on line. Yes they are also at Kew...

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 June 08 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
            Like Scrim , I'me not to good with the London Gazette Archives. The only reference to any Leslie Barber to do with the Services I could find was as follows:-
      Leslie Barber , Commisioned as A Flying Officer, Royal Air Force, Volunteer Reserve,Training Branch.on the 31st January 1964.
            Given your Leslie was bn Circa 1920, If he was a career soldier from age 18 at say 1938 he could well have retired from the army on pension after  22yrs in 1960. Got bored and decided to help out as a civvy instructor  of cadets at the local Air Training Corps  Squadron  and been commisioned after a few years.
             Pure Hypothesis, but could be !!
                                              Good Luck Roger.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 June 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Many thanks for looking - how odd BUT I did guess at his age but I think it should have been about right - if anything he would have been a bit younger - everyone looks old to you when you are a child.    However, his mother was very elderly I remember and I think he was the oldest child.

I have no idea when he retired but when he did he married a German lady and went  to live in Canada!

Thanks again.

Sue

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 June 08 23:06 BST (UK) »
BTW it wasn't us being planks with the London Gazette...It was playing up somewhat!!