Author Topic: looking for information on loyal orange lodge in Workington in 2oth century  (Read 16762 times)

Offline Priscurl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information on loyal orange lodge in Workington in 2oth century
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 April 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi People,

I would also be extremely interested in aspects of the Orange Lodge in Workington.   My great Grandfather Richard Croskery and other members of that extended family were also members.  I think Richard held office among them.  I know a relative in Workington has Richard's sash.   I live in Australia, but my grandfather William Croskery emigrated out to Australia from Workington in the 1920s.  My mother still has first cousins there, and I myself have visited the place on two occasions.  My family lived on the now demolished Marsh and Quay.  They lived in Southey St. 

Denise

Offline jeffbubble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 April 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Priscurl,
Facebook site Marsh & Quay   or Old Workington for photos

Jeff
Jefferson - Wigton/Workington
Wilson -Distington/Workington
Mudridge/Mugridge Cumberland & Cornwall
Hewitson -Ulldale

Offline dclark01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 March 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Sisters of LOL 138 of Workington. They sent a wreath to my grandfathers funeral in 1949. I know my grandmother & auntie were members of an Orange Lodge from a photograph I have of them wearing sashes. Any information would be helpful.

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 March 19 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I do not have a complete set of records, but from the records I have I see that a Mrs Rhoda Clark of 4, Lonsdale Street, Workington, was the Mistress (i.e. the leader) of Ladies Loyal Orange Lodge (LLOL) No. 138 between the years 1934 and 1949. I don’t have records for all the years between 1934 and 1949 but it is quite likely that her role as the Mistress of the lodge was continuous during that period and possibly extended on either side of that period. The full name of the lodge was ‘Christ Church Star of the North LLOL 138’ and it met on the 3rd Monday of each month at Christ Church, Edkin Street, Workington. The lodge ceased to exist sometime in the 1950’s. I hope this information is helpful.

Offline dclark01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 March 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow. Thank you for your very speedy reply & what a fantastic piece of information. The church you mention is where Dorothy May was married in 1962. I was born in 1948 & knew nothing at all of their involvement. All I have is the photograph & newspaper clipping which I inherited when my aunt died in 2000.
Is there any information at all on Robert & Dorothy?

Dave

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 March 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Between 1938 and 1948 a Mr. R. Clark of 4, Lonsdale Street, Workington, was Master of The Robert Russell Memorial Loyal Orange Lodge No. 518 which met monthly at Christ Church, Edkin Street. I do not have records for all the years between 1938 and 1948 but it is likely that he was Master of the lodge continuously in that period. He may also have been Master for a few years before 1938 where I do not have records. The lodge did not submit its records in 1949 – perhaps it ceased to exist in that year. Also, in 1938 a Mrs Rhoda M. Clark was Superintendent of The Robert Russell Memorial Junior Loyal Orange Lodge No. 39 which met twice monthly at Christ Church. Hoping this is helpful.

Offline dclark01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 March 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Wow again. Helpful??? Understatement! My family never cease to amaze me nor do the people who I ask for assistance. I wonder if records were not submitted in 1949 because of his sudden death on 24 October of that year. I wonder also if it is just a coincidence that my grandmother finished as Mistress in 1949 after his death?
Do you know how many lodges were actually in Workington because that is 3 different ones I have seen now, 134, 138  & 518?
Are you a Workingtonian?

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
The number of lodges varied over the years but if we look at 1948 there were 2 male lodges, 2 female lodges and 2 junior lodges in Workington. No, I’m not from Workington and have never been there!

Offline dclark01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks fornthat mate, very useful information. I will now have to see what other information I can find out.

Regards

Dave