Author Topic: 1891 — 1991 Magheralin Church - Link  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
1891 — 1991 Magheralin Church - Link
« on: Friday 06 June 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
"Like an Evening Gone " was written to mark the centenary of the Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, Magheralin - 1891 — 1991. Compiled by Mrs Eileen Cousins, B.A. http://laeg2.tripod.com/html/1.htm

Offline allen1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 — 1991 Magheralin Church - Link
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 February 14 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Please, can anyone help. Thomas Scandrett/Scandridge is mentioned in one of the Sections of this fine book, as a Churchwarden in 1720 but he is not mentioned in the Parish Records/Vestry Minutes of that year. There is a Thomas Strawbridge mentioned in the book as a Churchwarden but in 1722. Please can anyone add any further info on these 2 Gents or their family names in/near Magheralin in the late 1600's/early 1700's. I think that this Thomas Scandrett may be the Father of Thomas, baptised at Magheralin in 1699. This Thomas (1699) is the earliest ancestor of my Wife's family line that I have traced back to. Thanks, Allen.
Bunn Scandrett

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 February 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Ros Davies Co Down website has an entry under Scandrett
Thomas   SANDRETT    .    ?   will probated 1742   IIW V4 p134
The manuscript of the book might exist with the Cousins who could check if any typos were introduced to her work by the time it was published.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline allen1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 February 14 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. Firstly, I should have checked and shown the 1720 Churchwarden's name as Thomas Scandreth (another variation  of the Scandrett name) as it is in Mrs Cousins book.

The 1742 Will is probably Thomas Jr, bapt in 1699 and buried at Crumlin in 1742. The 1720 Thomas is most likely his Father who was buried in 1734 at Crumlin. The dates and events are Parish Record based but which Thomas is which is more problematical

As an aside, I havent yet found the Scandretts using Strawbridge but the early Irish families
seemed to use, or be quoted as being named Scandridge/Scanrige/Scandret/Scanderet as well.

The curiosity is that the Parish Minute Book that I read at Proni, didnt show any Thomas XXXXX at all as a Churchwarden in 1720.

Thanks, Allen
Bunn Scandrett