Author Topic: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond  (Read 35998 times)

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 30 April 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
Are they Duncan seton siblings as I don't have anything before or his family yet
Thank you
Christina

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 30 April 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
Robert Seaton   Elspeth McLauchlane   Wester Balrobie   John   10 Dec 1738
Robert Seaton   Elspeth McLauchlane   Wester Balrobie   Beatrice   7 Sep 1752
Robert Seaton   Elspeth McLauchlane   Wester Balrobie   Duncan   10 Feb 1756
Robert Seaton   Elspeth McLauchlane   Wester Balrobie   Janett   10 Oct 1760

John Seton 15   Isabel Stewart   Wester Balrobie   Elspeth   17 Dec 1774
John Seaton   Isabel Stewart   Balrobie   Isabel   6 Jul 1777
John Seton   Isabel Stewart   Balrobie   Margaret   5 Jul 1779
John Setton   Isabel Stewart   Balrobie   Robert   30 Jul 1781
John Setton   Isabel Stewart   Wester Balrobie   James   13 Feb 1784
John Setton, deceased   Isabel Stewart   Wester Balrobie   John   15 Jun 1786, Duncan Setton,
there, sponsor

15 John Seton in Wester Balrobie and Isobel Stewart in the parish of Dull, married 17 Feb 1774

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 May 17 06:17 BST (UK) »
Thorth you are amazing thank you where do you get theses records so quick you have made my year
Thanks
Christina

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 May 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
Our database has all the births 1718-1799 sorted by family group and also by where they were living.  We are working on 1800-1855, but that is taking more time than expected as we have to take into account the 1841 and 1851 census returns.

Anyway, you should be pleased to get back beyond the '45 - the records are rather patchy.

There is another Setton family at Balrobie that you might be interested in.  Possibly that of a brother?

Neill Seaton   Janet Young   Balrobie   James   7 Nov 1735

and of course, John Seaton and Margaret Young

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
hi again i think i may have taken a wrong road on cameron who married duncan seaton i have her dad and mum john cameron  mary morrison but cant find have there marriage as 1761 dull but cant find it any help appreciated  as smith stewart cameron seaton doing my head in
christina

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 01 May 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Duncan's first son was named Robert after the paternal grandfather, and the second son was normally named after the maternal grandfather.  So I would expect Margaret Cameron to be the daughter of a Donald Cameron in Glen Fincastle, parish of Dull. 

We don't have a complete database on Dull parish, just the bits that relate to Blair Atholl parish.

Marriages in Dull parish normally just say 'both of this parish' which is not much help when trying to trace back families. 

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 01 June 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Very interested to see this thread. I have only recently started trying to look into my Setton (Seaton) line from Blair Atholl and came across the borenich site which is certainly helpful and which I will explore further. It appears I should take Setton/Seton/Seaton as being interchangeable? My 4xGt Grandmother was Cecil/Cicel Setton of Pitdorny, Dull who married Donald Moon of Wester Balrobie, Blair Atholl in 1797. I am trying to figure out the parents on both sides, a possible sister Mary Setton (also listed at Pitdorny) married George Stewart in 1797. The Moon name seems quite common in the area too, I am trying to sort out the different households in my head and it is hurting!  Cicel Setton and Donald Moon's daughter Christian Moon married a Logie in Little Dunkeld and moved down river to Errol in the 1850s where many of their descendants still live. A sister Margaret Moon married an Alexander Seaton at Moulin and I have matched with a descendant of theirs on Ancestry DNA. Looks like she died young and he remarried.
Any suggestions welcome.
Many thanks
Nicola
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 01 June 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
Despite being in different parishes, Balrobie and Pitdorny are close to each other on the south side of the river Garry. Pitdorny is also called Baldornie.  Here is the link to the relevant OS map at the National Library of Scotland

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.7483&lon=-3.8051&layers=5&b=1

We have the data for Balrobie if that would be of help to you, but we don't hold a full record for the adjacent parishes. How many children do you have for Donald and Cecil?  Six?

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 01 June 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I have 6 children for Cicel Setton and Donald Moon. I had been having a nose round the maps and place names and spotted that variation, I'll go back with that in mind. Anything on Balrobie would be great. I've a bit more reading up to do on record sources. I note previous mention of tenant records in Blair Castle archives and looking at their website it seems they do some basic searching if you can give them some details to go on?

I MIGHT be a bit clearer on my Moons. I think Duncan Moon of Bailnurain/Baluarain may have married twice, firstly to C/Katherine also Moon in Jan 1761, children between 1761 and 1776, last child (my?) Donald appears to be born a few months before his father perhaps marries again to K/Catherine Cree in Nov 1776 then more children with her. 3 Johns between both but not unusual with infant death? There are quite a few Donald Moons about though.

N

Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough