Author Topic: Convalescence Hopsital - which one?  (Read 7197 times)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: Convalescence Hopsital - which one?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 13 June 08 16:37 BST (UK) »
I've been away for a couple of days, but reading through the thread, I would still go strongly with the original photo being taken prior to the summer of 1915 - perhaps at a stretch August/September.  It's all to do with the hats - that style of VAD hat was discontinued around May/June time, when it changed to the handkerchief style, tied/pinned at the back.  I know that doesn't fit in with the other information on dates of service, but would have to stick with it.

Sue

Perhaps it's not him!

Sue is the Guru of these things...So she must be right!

Although I do some medical stuff...Sue has the Gucci knowledge of subtle bits in the Nursey uniforms 
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 13 June 08 17:40 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not true - I'm clever enough to be only too aware of how little I know.  And if there's no-one else to correct me, I might be making it all up as I go along!  (But I do feel fairly confident about the 'hat' question).

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline Harpist

• RootsChat Member
  • Back through the tunnels of time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 13 June 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Reading your thread I see that Alder Hey Hospital was mentioned. Not far away on the other side of the Mersey there was a convalescent home on the Wirral in Arrowe Park. Maybe that is where your relative went after Alder Hey. Certainly many service personnel went through there.

Harpist.
Cheshire: Barnett/Candeland/Davies/Griffiths/Mitchell/Powell/Potter/Price/Sharp
Cornwall: Barnett
Flintshire: Davies
Pembrokeshire: Barnett/Hyland/Howels
Anglesey: Martin
Warwickshire: Sharp
Lancashire: Fisher/Spencer
Leicestershire: Reynolds, Wright, Harriman, Adams
Denbighshire: Mitchell

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 14 June 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Scrimnet, thanks for the picture of your SWB - I'm sure I remember that in grandad's box many years ago, its the distinctive design - it definatley rings a bell.

Sue - I take your word for on the uniforms just not sure how that date ties in with his injury etc.  Wish I could find his records as that might answer many of our questions. 

Harpist - thanks for that, I'll do some googling.

Crystal
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 15 June 08 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've posted the back of one of the pension notices as it states that grandad was formally with the 24th Royal West Surreys - am I right in assuming that this was the 24th battalion?  I have been looking at the regiments records and it shows a 2/4 battalion - maybe a bit dumb here but just wan to check that they both mean the same?

Thanks

Cyrstal
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 15 June 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
The 24th bn were the 24th London Regt, the 8th Surrey Rifle Volunteers, in existence from 1860-1961, in one form or another...

1901 cyclist coy raised

1908.04.01 24th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (The Queen's) transferred to T.F. with HQ and A-H Coys at New Street, Southwark

1915.03 1/24th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (The Queen's) renumbered on formation of 2/24th Battalion

1916.07.07 transferred to the corps of The Queen's (Royal West Surrey  Regiment) without change of title

1920.02.07 24th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (The Queen's) reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at 71 New Street, Kennington Park (Southwark)

1922 24th London Regiment (The Queen's)

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 15 June 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info Scrimnet but afraid I'm still a little confused - I'm being a bit dumb regarding the change of regiments.  I am I right in thinking that he was in the London Regiment in the Queens Royal West Surreys?   :-\  Sorry about this.

Crystal (having a blank moment)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 15 June 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
This part (the battalion-bn) was a Territorial bn...They were part of "The London Regt" a cover all name for the Territorial bns in London.

The original name for this bn was 8th Surrey Rifle Volunteers...This name stemmed from the 1860s when it was constituted...

In 1908 when the Territorial Force was constituted, the "24th County of London Regt (The Queens)".... although part of the Surrey side of the Thames, didn't quite have the name of the "Royal West Surreys".

This did not happen until March 1915, when they became part of Royal West Surreys officially, but still as the 24th bn...

Title changes and movements during WW1 are a bit confusing at the best of times!!! So no, not a blank moment!!  This stuff is a bit mad...

It became worse during WW2 when infantry Territorial bns became searchlight, Artillery and all sorts!!! But we won't go into that here!!

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 15 June 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
Scrimnet

Thanks for that explanation - I understand what you mean now.  Its good when the penny drops  ;D

OH and I are going away for a few days and will be back on Friday so will catch up with everyone then.

Crystal