Author Topic: Bridgewater riot 1833  (Read 9584 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bridgewater riot 1833
« on: Monday 09 June 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Bridgewater Riot dated 1833. A Bridgewater Advertiser index mentioned Harriet Stacey as a witness to this riot articles dated 8th April 1833 and 22nd April 1833. Just wondered whether it might have something to do with either industrial or agricultural unrest. Harriet was my gg grandfather's sister.

Regards
Wren.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgewater riot 1833
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 June 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
I can find nothing in the 19th Century newspapers about a Bridgwater Riot (there is no 'e'  :)) The only reference to riots is in the Bridgwater Assizes, 8th August 1833, when the Bishop of Bristol recovered a verdict for £6,000 compensation for the damage sustained by his episcopal residence in that city during the reform riots in October 1831. I would think you would need to get the actual copies of the Bridgwater Advertiser to see what is being referred to.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 June 08 15:03 BST (UK) »
There are several references to it in the Bridgwater Advertiser. Also to people being at the assizes shortly after for assault, which I assume is connected.

Sounds like a local thing.

Can't find anything online - yet!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgwater riot 1833
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi stan and Meles
Thanks for your efforts. Yes, I guess I'll have to get copies of the actual articles. I just thought maybe it was some kind of well publicised uprising.

Thanks again
Wren.

Offline avoidingvista

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 October 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
Wren

I am also trying to find out more about the Bridgwater Riot of 1833. I have an ancestor, William Sainsbury, listed as a witness in the Advertiser on 22nd April. Have you looked at the newspaper yet? Do you have more info than in June?

Thanks

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Avoidingvista
Sorry. No to both questions. I've been on a little vacation and haven't done anything more on my Stacey relies. I do need to get back to that branch. I will in the not too  distant future.
Regards
Wren

Offline avoidingvista

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 October 08 02:29 BST (UK) »
I found this on a webpage about Friarn Street Bridgwater http://www.friarn.co.uk/FSheritage/chrono.htm :

In 1832, a fight near Mr Bowen's house in Friarn Street takes place at the time of an election. The rioters had got into his house and engaged in drinking and smoking. Mr Bowen, Editor of the Bridgwater Alfred, returned and was struck a considerable blow across the face which rendered him insensible. Meanwhile the riot progressed. The road leading to the house and "the street was crowded and sticks, stones and bricks flew about pretty lively". The riot act was read by the mayor, after which the crowd dispersed.

There is a mention on another web page of a riot in 1832 after a general election.

Could it be that a court case followed in April 1833 and witnesses were listed then or is it unconnected?

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 08 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Avoidingvista
I've got to say that I'm a little confused about these riots at the minute. I need to sit down and assimilate the info and do some more research. I think my Harriet Stacey was a witness. I need to verify that this Harriett Stacey is one of my Stacey's. I'm not exactly sure that she is. My Harriett sister to my Great Great Grandfather ended up in Australia and I was wondering whether it may have been to escape the aftermath of the riots.

I think maybe there was more than one riot and they may have been connected. I'll have a little wander around the web later today and see what I can glean. I know the newspapers are the best source, but at present I don't have access to them so the web is the next best thing.
Regards
Wren

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 October 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Bridgwater .... (there is no 'e'  :))

But there was - according to Trewman's Exeter Flying Post - so you'd be well advised to use both spellings in any search engine for 19th Century newspapers.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk