Author Topic: Bridgewater riot 1833  (Read 9585 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgewater riot 1833
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee-Jay
Thanks for that advice. I'm going to need to sit down and do some serious research on the topic and really nut out which Harriett Stacey/Stacy was involved. I'm tending to think that perhaps it may have been the next generation back which makes her not my GG grandfathers sister but maybe his aunt.
Regards
Wren

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 00:39 BST (UK) »
Seems reporters on The Taunton Courier were of the same ilk:

BRISTOL AND EXETER RAILWAY. _ The works on this Railway are proceeding with the utmost vigour at all points between Bristol and Bridgewater.  The season having now approached for the different workings, a very large force of additional workmen have been just set on.  [27 Feb 1839]
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avoidingvista

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 03:30 BST (UK) »
I have discovered the following:

1. The particular riot happened after the general election of December 1832, the first after the reform act, when two Whigs won. A group of revelers were celebrating the unseating of William Thornton Astell but ended up invading the house of John Bowen, the editor of the Alfred and a Tory. John was struck on the head and injured when he went to remove people from this house. The mayor read the Riot Act. A full report was in the Alfred on Monday, December 17th 1832.

2. 5 were accused of conspiracy at the Taunton assizes in April 1833 and to everybody's surprise acquitted by the Jury. The rumours were of 500 pounds bribery.

3. A further 37 were summoned and committed for trial at Wells, I haven't found details of this so far.

The April 1833 newspaper references were probably from the trial.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
The old spelling was Bridgewater (from Bridgewaltier), but at some time the 'e' was dropped and it became Bridgwater.
In the 1801 census it is Bridgwater http://www.histpop.org
See also http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/tt_for_place_page.jsp?p_id=436

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avoidingvista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 00:13 BST (UK) »
Stan

To add to your point, I have read that Bridgwater, although often spelt in many places and especially by spell checkers as Bridgewater, is not derived from bridge and water as I thought.  Instead it is claimed it is a corruption/evolution of its original name.

Bridgwater.......... was given to Walter de Douay, one of William's followers, at the time of the Conquest, and was thence called "Burgh Walter" and "Brugge Walter," by which names, both signifying Walter's burgh or borough, it is designated in various ancient records.

From: 'Bridekirk - Bridgwater', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 362-369.
URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50828#s20 .

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 04:12 BST (UK) »
I have a descendant ...... listed as a witness ......

Can I assume you are a ghostly apparition?   ;D

If so, do you happen to know the name of the Coachman who drove the Exeter/London Defiance via the GWR from 'Bridgewater' in August 1841?  
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avoidingvista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 05:32 BST (UK) »
The ghost has been exorcised and he took the 'e' with him!  :o

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Avoidingvista and Dee Jay
Wow what interesting information. I found a website that had an index for some issues of the Advertiser.
http://www.paulhyb.homecall.co.uk/news/BRID1833.HTM
This site listed a Harriet Stacey as a witness and a Robert Stacey.
I now think these are the generation preceding my Harriet. As my Harriet's dates don't fit with these dates.
So either they were brother and sister or husband and wife.  Were they connected to my Harriet or is it sheer coincidence?Why are these things never simple? More investigation is warranted.
Wren

Offline bridgwatergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked at this newspaper article a while ago, as a James Washer (possibly a relative) was listed in it.  I've been glancing back at my notebook & I think I just read it - very unlike me!!

However, I'm off home to Bridgwater for carnival (yay) in just under 2 weeks and I was hoping to pop into B/w library and look at some of the old newspapers, so I could print it off & either pass it on or make a transcript.  The only thing is I can't make promises - I'm only home for about 2 days, so if I end up visiting a living relative, I won't get to the library.  :-\

PS Bridgwater is randomly spelt with an e or not in all sorts of records, but it's always safest to leave the e in general on posts, as Bridgwater folk are sensitive about this.  There are several other B/ws in the world, but only one without an e!!  ;) 

Somerset - YOUNG, GADD, WASHER, VENN, SULLY, PAIN, ROWSELL, PADDON, BEER, DIBBLE.  Devon - TURNER, TOMS, BERRY, SHAMBROOK, GRIBBLE.  London - JEWITT, HARGRAVE, NELMS, FORSTER, TAYLOR.  Glamorgan - EVANS, JOSEPH, THOMAS, GRIFFITHS, LEWIS.  Lincs - JEWITT, BARWICK, BROWN.  Kent - TAYLOR, GODDEN, MACE.