Author Topic: What was wrong with Hulme Barracks, Manchester?  (Read 16115 times)

Offline TomUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was wrong with Hulme Barracks, Manchester?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 January 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

You don't give any dates - which would be useful.
I've had a quick look on an old map of Hulme. Phillips Street was the next street to Bonsall Street. A much changed Bonsall Street still exists, but Phillips Street disappeared when Hulme was cleared and re-developed in the 1960s. It was about a 20min. walk to the barracks which were on the other side of Stretford Road. However, there were a number of other army barracks in the area, so he could have been at one of those. The house numbers on Phillips Street went from 1 to 84. I can tell you that on the 1881 census, house number 17 was occupied by Henry Olroyd (a joiner) and his wife Ellen, plus children Elizabeth (3) and Thomas (1). They also had two lodgers, Mary and Alice Holland.

Offline mastead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was wrong with Hulme Barracks, Manchester?
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks TomUK, Lavinia Kirkpatrick died 1906 she married Lewis/Lowis Kirkpatrick in 1895, In the censuses she was living with her parents in Gorton, I just cant find Lewis, his parents were granite merchants on Hyde road, someone did find a Lewis in a Scottish regiment but i have a feeling its not right
        Lisa

Bibby-Lancs
Smith-Hednesford-Lancs
Kirkpatrick-westmorland