Author Topic: What was wrong with Hulme Barracks, Manchester?  (Read 16114 times)

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: What was wrong with Hulme Barracks, Manchester?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 June 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hulme Cavalry Barracks from a report in 1861.

These barracks of regulation accommodation for 423 men, including non-commissioned officers. They are situated at the outskirts of Hulme; but on three sides of the parallelogram occupied by the barracks, there is a densely built neighbourhood of houses and factories, coming close to the boundary walls; and on one side only is the barrack yard open to the fields.

The stables of the barrack-rooms built over them, and extend along about half each of the long sides of the longer sides of the parallelogram, within a few yards of the boundary wall.

Immediately outside the boundary wall on one side, and overlooking the barracks, is a large lofty mill, which interferes with the free circulation of air on that side; and over the boundary wall behind the opposite range of barracks-rooms our narrow streets of small cottage houses with double ranges of ash-pits, privies and cesspools.

Between them, and all  these nuisances the air, which supplies the barrack-rooms on that side has to pass.

A third side of the parallelogram is occupied by the canteen, riding house etc. Within the parallelogram at the same end is a line of buildings in which are placed the officers' quarters, workshops, schools, libraries etc.

The hospital is situated close to these buildings. behind each range of barracks is in narrow ill-paved, and defectively drained passage, across which immediately under the Barrack windows, are the litter sheds.

An open ash-pit and sergeants' privy are situated in the same line as the litter sheds. The space left between the boundary wall at the barracks is much too small, either for the health or convenience.

These arrangements are by no means conductive to the healthiness of the barracks; but they cannot now be altered without obtaining possession of ground outside the boundary wall, which in our opinion, It would be very advisable to do so,if it could be accomplished.

The soldiers latrines kitchens etc, are situated in separate buildings on the same line as the barracks.

The large central square, is an equally divided by temporary wooden stables, extending across it, and nearly in its centre is a large and well built ablution house,a water tank, baths,foot pans,basins etc.

The permanent buildings are all of brick, they were built in 1793, the soldiers barracks were rebuilt in 1829 and the officers quarters in 1841,the ground occupied by the whole establishment is 7 acres 1 rood in area,and consists of gravel and clay.

It is on the same level and possesses the same natural means of drainage, as the surrounding district.

There are, in all 40 soldiers rooms and 12 Sgt rooms in the barracks three of the latter are however misappropriate soldiers rooms, which has been found necessary to take from the men's accommodation, on account of the deficiency in non-commissioned officers quarters.

The rooms are already stated, are over the stables and very objectionable arrangement . Half of the rooms face towards the barrack Square and half towards the boundary wall.

Between the two ranges of rooms is the usual long narrow, badly lighted unventilated wooden corridor with doors opening right and left into the soldiers rooms close to the fireplaces.

These corridors are however much superior in one respect to those in most other cavalry barracks, from having shafts the whole breadth of the corridor carried at intervals to the roof where a large skylight is placed to admit light but for want of ventilation which could easily be supplied at the skylights. This smell in the corridors at night is stated to be at times most sickening.

The barrack rooms are of all size and they contain ten men each with a cubic space of 494 feet per man.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 June 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Plans of Barracks (Hulme) you are looking at (A Officers Rooms) & (B Soldiers rooms over the Stables)

Offline DAboz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 July 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
The above information about the Hulme barracks is very interesting.
Can anyone please tell me which regiment was stationed at the barracks at census time in 1861? My gr.grandfather appears to have served there as a soldier. I wish to try to confirm if the name appearing on the census is indeed that of my gr. grandfather. The regiment is not mentioned on the census sheet.
I have tried The National Archives records described in an earlier posting but the relevant part is apparently undergoing digitalisation and will not be available on-line until 2011.
Thank you in advance
Mike in Denmark

Offline Brimay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 March 10 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken,

I read with interest your assistance in tracing a soldier for a previous writer and wondered whether you could offer me some similar advice. My grandfather, John Healy bn 1833 Dunleer, Co Louth was a private in the 4th Dragoon Guards. He was stationed in the Cavalry Barracks Hulme in 1871 with his wife and family.
I would like to find out a) when and where he enlisted, b) how long he served for, c) when and where was he was discharged. Could you point me in the right direction to find the answers to these questions?

Many thanks, Brimay

Offline Ancestrykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 October 10 11:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to determine whether there was a public house in Queens St, Hulme, called 'The Queen's Bays' as I believe my ggrandfather, Richard Lord, was the publican.  Can anybody help?
Thanks very much,
Kim

Offline TomUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 January 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
It may be of interest to note that the rather grand house which used to be the officers' quarters at Hulme Barracks is still standing (at Jan. 2011). It stands on Princess Street, Hulme and is number 10 at the end of the street.  It is currently converted to provide rented flats. It is the only original building to survive on Princess Street street (which runs parallel to Barrack Street). My great grandfather Joe Willie Broadhead used to live at number 17 on the other side of the street next to the Cornbrook Orphanage at numbers 19-23.
Princess Street and Barrack Street both terminated at the Barracks grounds. On Barrack Street there were the rows of terraced houses which used to provide accommodation for the NCOs. There were two doors to each house, one leading to the upstairs flat and one for the downstairs one. These houses are still there. In the 60s-70s they were refurbished and now they are in use again as flats, still with those double doors. Plenty of images at www.images.manchester.gov.uk showing the barracks. The picture shows the house in 1959, before it was converted to flats.

Offline mastead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a death certificate for my great great grandmother and her husband was Lowis Kirkpatrick a soldier (foot) of Hulme, does this mean he was based at Hulme barracks, she died in Withington workhouse infirmary and on her burial records her address was 17 Philips street, Hulme was this close by the barracks
                                 Lisa
Bibby-Lancs
Smith-Hednesford-Lancs
Kirkpatrick-westmorland

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Do those death certificates say who was the Informant?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline mastead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Scouseboy Only the Master of the Union workhouse, Lisa
Bibby-Lancs
Smith-Hednesford-Lancs
Kirkpatrick-westmorland