Author Topic: Wings from Wales!  (Read 1878 times)

melaniep

Wings from Wales!
« on: Friday 21 January 05 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Calling all welsh people! and everyone else too!
HI here in Auckland we are running an appeal called Wings from Wales. We are aiming to bring a teenager with cancer, and his family, out to NZ for the Lions tour in July. We have just had confirmation that its a young lad called Scott from Merthyr Tydfil who will be coming out with his twim brother and his dad. For more details , have a look at www.aucklandwelsh.com . Any suggestions for fundraisers or donations very gratefully received! We have received the most amazing donations so far. A tour operator has given us a 3 night stopover in LA on the way here, and a three night stopover in Fiji on the way back. We need to raise at least $20000 NZ and are well on the way

Offline legs11

• RootsChat Senior
  • my border collie Willow and her first litter
    • View Profile
Re: Wings from Wales!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 05 15:00 GMT (UK) »
hi mel,

What a wonderful idea. I suppose you have thought of the normal fashion shows, raffles, cake stalls, trivia nights, etc. this is just a suggestion. what about an open air film showing, with hopefully the food and picture proceeds being donated so that as much money could be raised for the boy. What about a mini olympics, of sorts, make it so everyone of different ages can have a go at different sports, but not a serious one, make it like a fun family day type event.

Is the whole town behind this fundraiser or just a select few?

That is all that I can think of at the moment, but will keep trying, racking this old brain of mine. I don't know how well you think they will work but maybe you people could work out the finer details to make it worthwhile.

hope all goes well

legs11
PRICE, CURTIS, JONES, LUSH<br /><br />WARMINSTER

melaniep

« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 05 19:30 GMT (UK) »
HI this is just the Auckland Welsh club raising funds. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure we will give a few of them a try!

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 05 01:48 GMT (UK) »
We recently had a Family Fun Day,  as a church fundraiser.  We had all the usual stalls,  and attractions,  but we also had some silly sports that prooved very popular.

We made a maze from Hay bales,  did welly tossing.  There were lots of other ideas,  and we advertised it with all local schools,  the scouts,  guides,  and every local group we could think of.  We charged a small admission,  and had some free activities and charged for others,  with prizes.  The key was the advertising,  and we got leaders of groups to agree to bring a small group so we knew we would get a response.  We also encouraged them to make a stall themselves,  and donate some of their profits to us.

We tripled the normal fundraising amount and all had fun as well.  And the kids loved it.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

melaniep

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 January 05 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kazza some great ideas there! We really want to make this the trip of a lifetime for them, so are hard out at the moment. Thanks for the encouragement!

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I live in Merthyr and haven't heard anything about this in the local press, do they know about it?
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

melaniep

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 19:21 GMT (UK) »
HI Amy. Well we throught they did! I know it was mentioned on the Roy Noble Show on the radio a couple of weeks ago. We have only just had confirmation of who the lad is, so maybe the news hasn't filtered through. Have you got an e-mail address or contact details for the Merthyr Express and we can get in touch with them? Thanks for your interest, I'm originally from Aberdare so this is close to my heart!

Cheers
Melanie

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I know two people at the Merthyr Express, Rupert and Catherine. I'll dig our their email addresses for you in work tomorrrow.
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk