Author Topic: Found a picture  (Read 12120 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Found a picture
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 January 05 23:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a great story that goes with that photo  of my Grandfather. It was taken in 1915 when he was an apprentice carpenter. They were building a new residence for some wealthy cattle baron in the Huter Valley north of Sydney. All the workers lived in tents on site as there was no mass transport to the cattle station. His tent mate was a fellow by the name of Oz Treharne.

When my Grandmother died in 1997, my mother was going through her papers and came across the following letter.

My Grandfarther went on to start is own Building business. He was a keen photographer and photographed just about eveything he worked on. Out of his 59 grandchildren, I was the lucky one who ended up with the photos. This is one of the main reasons I started doing Geaneology.

deadants

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 January 05 00:15 GMT (UK) »
- have used layers - but only to make signs for my model railway!!

I'd better not show that to my other half otherwise that's another job for me as well as painting wagons.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 January 05 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Deadants,

Maybe you would like to make a new topic in the Technical board with your information and tips on colourising old photos?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 January 05 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Good Idea kazza. I'm sure most of us have interisting photo's of the past that would look great with a splash of colour.

DA
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 January 05 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Deadants,

I look forward to reading your tips.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 January 05 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Well i posted a topic in the techinical forum. I  might need some questions from someone to get the ball rolling.

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 January 05 06:32 GMT (UK) »
does anybody know if this address still exists.

deadants

15 Court 1 Swinhill Field Road, Barnsley, Yorkshire, England

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 January 05 06:46 GMT (UK) »
my GG grandfarthes pub in Barnsley, The Masons Arms. It's no longer a pub but the building is still there. It's no a tyre retailer.

Here's a then and now. It was in front of the old Clarkeson Brewery. The Sign on the old pub says Clarkeson Brewery. The one on the right was black and white, I colourised it in photoshop.

Here's a Picture I found a couple of minutes ago, on http://web.ask.co.uk/ I typed Shambles street and this was in the list.
If there is anybody from Barnsley who can confirm or deny that this is the same building in the photo as the one above I'd appreciate it . All opinions are welcome.

deadants

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 January 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deadants,

For what it's worth I think you have a winner here.   The buildings have changed, but the bend in the road is the same and the two older photographs both have a bay window.   Do you know what year these pictures were taken?

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk