Author Topic: Anderson - Gillon family question  (Read 10452 times)

Offline VioletB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson - Gillon family question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 February 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for reply.  I do not have a birth certtificate for her but her death certificate gives her parents as William Anderson and Elizabeth Gray.  My great grandmother's death certificate had her mother recorded funnily enough as Jessie Gillon, later married John Thomson. By the time she married John Thomson she was using Anderson.  I have the same family names as yourself, with Robert,1823 and Elizabeth 1826 and Janet 1831.  I have not found a marriage certificate either.  All the census forms show her born in Slamannan and also my great grandmother Janet lived with William and Elizabeth according to the 1851 census anyway.    I have recently spoken with a relative from the Thomson side who also thought they were related to the Gillons of Wallhouse.  More questions than answers in this family history!!!

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 February 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I am having difficulty with this family as I have proven certificates for Matthew Duncan marrying Helen McAlpine in 1904 (Matthew's parents being John Duncan and Anne Anderson).  Matthew was born in 1877 and there was a long list of children on the census returns listed below.  On the parents marriage certificate, Anne Anderson's parents are listed as William Anderson and Elisabeth Gray.  I have tracked the family through various census returns, checking and cross referencing dates, but on downloading the death certificate for Anne Anderson, her parents are listed as Robert Anderson and Jane Howieson!! Everything else on the certificate checks out (such as the death being reported by her son, Alexander Duncan).  I know there were lots of Duncans in the Haggs area, some at Braeface and some at Thomaston (were these farms??)  Is it possible there were two John Duncans married to two Anne Anderson??  James died in 1882 and his parents were confirmed on the death certificate as James Duncan and Janet Paterson (which is the same as his marriage certificate); as was the address of Braeface, Haggs.

Census Returns
1891 Matthew was aged 13 living at Braeface, Haggs with Ann Duncan (his mother - a widow) aged 53; Agnes aged 10 and Annie aged 2(illegitimate daughter of Jessie);

1881 - Matthew was 3 living at Thomaston Haggs, with James (father) aged 58, Ann (mother aged 45), Robert 22, David 20, Alexander 17, Jessie 11, Ann 6 and Agnes 1

1871 - the family were at North Thomaston - James and Ann (ages are wrong on ancestry) Thomas 20, John 15, Robert 12, Alexander 7, David 10, ELizabeth 4, Janet (jessie) 2.

1861 - James 38, Ann 27, James 15 and William 14 (from James' first marriage); Thomas 9, John 4 and Robert 1 - living at Upper Thomaston.

Any help regarding the mystery of Anne Anderson's parents, greatly appreciated as my certificates don't confirm what was expected.  PM me if you want more info or snippet extracts from certificates.
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 01:17 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I can suggest at this point is that William Anderson and Elisabeth Gray's thirteen year old son Robert Anderson managed to get Ann Howieson with child and little Ann grew up thinking her parents were actually her grandparents until later in life.  The other suggestion is that Alexander didn't know who his mother's parents were which is entirely possible if she stopped speaking to her parents.  And of course the third suggestion that there are indeed two James Duncan's married to two Ann Anderson's.  I ran into that with my Penman family.  I had two Willliam Penman's and wife Margaret in Airth at the same time.  Here is a reference to Ann's birth from Scotland's People.  If you haven't looked at the actual hard copy, it might give a little bit of a story.  Then again maybe not. (STIRLING   489/00 0030 0045)

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have a Margaret Gillon married to a James or John Wilson anywhere in your records?
I have my Grandfather's marriage certificates (2) and he states his parents were James Wilson and Margaret Gillon (first married 1894 - Bathgate)
His second marriage states his parents were JOHN wilson and Margaret Gillon (1934)
I have been searching this family for YEARS now and was most interested in your posting regarding lost records - SP cannot find my grandfather's birth (1872 Renfrewshire Paisley) nor his parents.
My Grandfather gave his children middle names - Anderson, Waugh and Sangster amongst them.
 I found the Waugh connection but cannot find the Anderson or Sangster connection.
They lived in Bathgate, Falkirk and Avonbridge.
This has been posted quite a few times on Rootschat - so I hope readers will forgive me for trying again.
Thanks
Hazelnuts
wilson (renfrewshire,paisley)

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I just came across the posts relating to Anderson-Gillon.

Does William Anderson born about 1814 and married to Janet Stewart, show up in any of your family information?

Hoping some of you still connect with this site.

Dave Anderson

Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 December 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 December 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes - still researching this ANDERSON/DUNCAN/GILLON family and still on Rootchat.

I haven't been looking at this branch for a while, so will get back on it.  I am now at the stage of checking all the ANNIE Duncans, as she appears on different certificates as Ann, Anne or Annie.  There were two Anne and James Duncan couples in the Haggs/Denny area (an Annie Duncan married a James Duncan).  I think I gave the name John on my original post but in actual fact it was JAMES Duncan who married Ann/Anne/Annie Anderson.  Hope to have more info soon.
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan