Author Topic: Jane TRINDADE Harem  (Read 18589 times)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TRINDADE Harem
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 June 08 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

A wonderful piece of detective work!!!
I did wonder if he was Portuguese. The date and area seems to fit and because of the unusual name one could almost be certain that this is the missing marriage. You could see how the name could be twisted in later years.
I wonder what happened to him?

Your second post arrived while I was typing, another mystery solved  ;D
I gather from this information she was abducted into the harem between July 1821 and May 1822.
The only unanswered question is where was the harem? ???

Ding  ;D
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 June 08 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

I have just noticed that in the 1861 Census Janes 42 years old brother was born in Mawnan.

Regards Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 June 08 13:06 BST (UK) »
Excellent  ;D

Funny Ding, I had noticed that but never really absorbed it. It is true - don't know why but they were in Mawnan for a few years. Never entered my mind they would have lived anywhere other than Crantock.

There are births and deaths in Mawgan. We are now on 15 children.  ;D

Explains why I didn't have some baptisms. For some reason I just assumed they hadn't baptised the latter ones. I had wondered why Edwards age in census didn't agree with the baptism I had, which is really unusual with Gentry - their ages are usually very accurate. Really should have twigged. Funny when you know. The signs were all there, I just wasn't looking.

I can now tell you they moved between 1813 and 1814. Edward bap Crantock 23 May 1813 buried 3 Dec 1814 Mawnan aged 19 Months. Charles Henry bap 26 May 1816 Mawnan buried 21 Feb 1817 Mawnan aged 9 Months, Charlotte 21 Nov 1817 Mawnan, Edward 16 Feb 1819 Mawnan, Charles 21 July 1821 Mawnan. Looking at Mawnan burials maybe even another one. I don't see a baptism for this one but there is the burial listed for Silas 8 Dec 1814 aged 7 months.

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 June 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone :)

What a great story!

I have found a few things on National Archives which may be of interest:

[no title]  TLP/338  23 Apr. 1859
Contents:
Mortgage for £800 (conveyance).
Hen. Prynn Andrew of Bodrean, esq., Geo. Nicholls Simmons of Truro, gent., Eliz. Andrew of Nansough, wid., to Rich. Johns of Crantock, gent., and Wm. Martyn of Tregunnel, Crantock.Nansough manor.

Online Document PROB 11/2260
Will of William Johns Gentleman Crantock , Cornwall .  Date: 1857.

will look for more

deb  ;D
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 June 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
The Book of Mawnan: celebrating a South Cornwall parish by the Mawnan History Group (2002)
Halsgrove, Halsgrove House, Lower Moor Way, TIVERTON Devon EX16 6SS
www.halsgrove.com (ISBN 1-84114-148-8)

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 June 08 18:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the letter could be Moroccan Hareem (Mosocan(?) Hareem) and Barbary Coast (Banbury coast) :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Coast

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-BarbaryS.html

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 June 08 00:07 BST (UK) »
The Jane Trindade file grows. ;D

I had a look at IGI for Johns christenings in Mawnan and, like you Kris, was delighted to find missing children. One slight piece of confusion is that they are all listed with father Richard, when surely it should have been William?
The Martyn cousin in Cornwall who I mentioned earlier did a lot of work trying to find the nearest surviving relative to a Marion Johns. She discovered that Charles Henry died and was followed by twins Charles & Henry. Henry emmigrated to Australia on 3 Aug 1848 on Navarino & Charles emmigrated in about 1851. She also mentioned something about a boating tragedy on the Gannel which drowned some of the children. I shall dig out her letters and have another look.

Getting back on the subject of Jane Trindade, my first thoughts when reading the letter was maybe Morocco.I am unaware if there were harems there.
Thank you for the other links I shall follow them up.

Ding.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 June 08 00:35 BST (UK) »
Good Grief - They are too Ding,  :o

Very Strange. I wonder what the full entries for the children's burials say. Quite often a burial will list son or dau of .......  The burials are all after the forms appear. I would like to know about the Silas one too. I note the tree lists a Silas Edward, but having gotten used to The Martyn's baptising sons Edward but later they are Silas Edward I just suspected the same thing here. Now we do have a family in Mawnan. I think those full baptism entries are a must too. We know they are all the same family.  :-[

Kris  :-\

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 June 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
JOZE DA TRINDADA LOURENZO   

Jose is the Spanish form of Joseph so

Joseph Lorenzo Trinidade

would be named for his father.

Is it likely you would name the son for his father if you had been deserted by him and possibly sold onto a harem - captured of course would be another thing and there were certainly Barbary pirates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates

Or the selling into the harem may have happened after the birth and burial of her son.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk