Author Topic: Thomas Wall & Catherine Kilmartin  (Read 3618 times)

Offline tawnyren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wall & Catherine Kilmartin
« on: Thursday 12 June 08 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi wondering if anyone could help with parents of Thomas Wall and Catherine Kilmartin who married 15 Feb 1855 Roman Catholic Cam and Kiltoom Roscommon Ireland
They had one daughter that i know of Mary Ann Wall b 1857 she married in NZ to Walter Jones in 1874
Cheers
Sonja

Offline caroleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wall & Catherine Kilmartin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 08 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I was at my fathers yesterday for his 74th birthday.  He gave me my whole family tree.  I had a quick scan of it - believe me it is huge.  My fathers surname is Wall and the whole family is Irish. There are quite a few Thomas Walls and Roscommon is mentioned a lot of times.  I will look into it further today and let you know of any reference to Catherine Kilmartin.

Offline tawnyren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 December 08 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thankyou for your help it is much appreciated, have my fingers crossed that something pops up
cheers
Sonja

Offline caroleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonja, just having another quick look at all the details my dad gave me.  Now i cannot find Roscommon!!!  so think it was something that came up in the general conversation yesterday.  All I can tell you so far is, that my maiden name was Wall, My Father is Patrick Wall, my grandad was Patrick Wall, Great Grandad William Wall, Great Great Grandad Thomas Wall and my Great Great Great Grandad was either Peter, William or Thomas Wall.  Are you following this :-) I have a gut feeling that it was probably Thomas as eldest sons were normally named after their fathers.  Obviously there are lots of offshoots from this family - which has may head in a spin :-)
The town mentioned is mainly Wicklow.  I have parish registers, going back to the early 19th century.

I have a feeling that if you are looking for Wall's then there will be some connection going that far back.

I also have my mothers to look through as well, also Irish, also catholic so by default also huge :-)

What other information do you have - maybe we can help each other here, this is mind boggling stuff

Carole

Offline tawnyren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Not much info on my side im affraid, i have a Mary Wall, who is my gt gt grandmother born 6 Jan 1857 Roscommon, Ireland, died 7 Jul 1896, Blenhiem New Zealand, she married Walter Frederick Jones in Wanganui New Zealand on the 30 May 1874, On Mary's and Walters marriage cert it lists Thomas Wall and Catherine Kilmartin as her parents, with their marriage date as 15 Feb 1855, Roman Catholic, Cam And Kiltoom, Roscommon, Ireland, that is all the information i have on this family, if you can shed any light i would much appreciate it
cheers
sonja

Offline caroleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 December 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonja, do you thing this attached is relating to you.  I do hope it is because it is very interesting and does have the NZ connection too.

Patrick Kilmartin (c.1822-1900) arrived in Hobart as a convict in 1851 on board the Blenheim together with his brother Bryan Kilmartin. Both tried for stealing two heifers 28 June 1849 in Co. Clare and sentenced to 7 years transportation. Bryan died of exhaustion in the bush in 1855, aged 30. Also tried Bryan Kilmartin junior. He died at Spike Island Gaol, Co. Cork. Three marriages are recorded for Patrick Kilmartin. Aged 35, he married Mary O'Neil (aged 26) in Hobart in 1858. She died the following year. In 1860, aged 39, he married Catherine Daley in Hobart. Catherine Kilmartin died in April 1878, aged 70. She is buried with Patrick at St. James Cemetery. In August 1878, aged 74, Patrick married Annie Clark (aged 24) in Port Cygnet. They had a son, Patrick Kilmartin, born October 1878. Annie Kilmartin died in childbirth (October 1878). Patrick Kilmartin and Catherine Sullivan had a daughter, Elizabeth Kilmartin, in 1884. Patrick Kilmartin leased a house and farm on 20 acres near Glaziers Bay (VR58). He is listed as living at Agnes Rivulet in 1867 (MDT). Patrick Kilmartin died in 1900 (death notice Mercury). He is buried in St. James Cemetery.

Read it a few times and it starts to make more sense :-)

Good luck

Carole