Author Topic: Having a nightmare - Howsego/Housego  (Read 25682 times)

Offline houzecarl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Having a nightmare - Howsego/Housego
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 23 May 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
the howzego, housego, howsego and related names were i think decended from the danish settlers called housecarls(housegos) the danish settlement placings sussex woods and norfolk suggest that a link is very likely .the house carls were said to be king alfreds elite foot soldiers they were strong and uncomprimising men  who were always ready for war and lived off the land ,ill try and research some more to try and prove a link but sound alike names often have a match further back and for very basic reasons ,the further back in research you may go , then no doubt other variations to the name will appear 

Offline poppygale1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: - Howsego/Housego
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. Have you had any further luck with the Housego name.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello poppygale1 & houzecarl...welcome to rootschat...

The threadowner babygirlbill may not be getting notified, I'll private message to let them know you have entered a reply. You can use the private message system once you have posted a few times. ( green scroll under their username or avatar ...even hit the username, or the baby face...all will get you there) In the meantime, there are many other boards in which to place an inquiry, or just simply post...
If you want to look for a surname, just go up to search and put it in the blank along with a keyword or alone...
There is also a beginners area here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,47.0.html
Have fun!   J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline poppygale1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 05 November 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you have completed our research for the Housegos?  Your George Housego born 1903 was my 1st cousin 1x removed and William Frederick or other way around was married to Emily Morris, his parents were Thomas Housego 1849/1893 married to Annie Rebecca Byatt 1853/1934 they were my great grandparents. 

Offline Howsego

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 05 January 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
hi ya i am part of the howsego family all born in west ham/forest gate my grandfather was alfred w howsego and he was born in 1931 i am also trying to locate all my relatives but i cant seem to get any where lol

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 05 January 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
From the FreeBMD Index, Alfred -J- Howsego's mother's maiden name was Butcher.

Have you got back as far as finding his parents marriage?

The name has many spelling variants ... just looking at West Ham Marriages in the 1920s onwards we see:-

Howgego, Housego, Howego !

this must be it:-

Marriages Dec Quarter of 1925   
~~~~~~~~

Butcher  Lylie  to Howsego  W.Ham  4a 644   
Cuthill  Ewen C  Downing  W.Ham  4a 644   
Downing  Doris L  Cuthill  W.Ham  4a 644   
Howsego  William  to Butcher  W.Ham  4a 644   

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 05 January 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I  contacted the poster earlier and again today in case that p.m. wasn't received. Welcome to rootschat... Don't forget, everyone, that middle names can be used which is often more confusing than looking for an unusual surname.
 :D Be thankful it isn't Smith...  as we are in "travelling people", by the by, don't be afraid to look further afield. Searching in Canada we often find descendants have traveled to either coast on horseback and wagon. This would span the length of the U.K. and back, the width several times. Many of these early pioneers came from British stock...So remember some people just don't let distance be a factor in where they want to work or live.  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 05 January 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thank you for your replies, I hadn't received them previously - sorry for the delay.

Poppygale I will private message you.

and J.J thank you for pointing out the posts.  I know how you feel looking up people from a travelling community - the other half of my family are Romany, so can be quite fun trying to hunt them down!
Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 05 January 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Weird that you would not get notification and not get a p.m. Must have been a major !!!BLOING!!! on the server!
Just in case there are some new variation on the surname here a FreeBMD search with House*o gets you...Housiego, Houseego, many Houseago, Housigo, Housego,  Houseago, Housago, several  Housefo, Housagoo, House_o, House*o, HOUSE*O  M__d, Housengo,
housg* gets Housgoe, Housgo
Howseg* gets Howsege
and with the long tail used on the "z" how*o - can get Howgego, Howjego,  Howdego, Howseyo,  How_go, Howzego, Howgego, Howgo, Howzigo, Howggego, How*o, Howg[e_]go, Howgego, Howgeco, Howxego, and my fave Howergoo
other oddballs Hawsego and not sure if yours Hawkrigo
There are likely tons more depending on where you put the asterix...such as hou*go - Hou*go etc.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl