Author Topic: Waterdale graveyard  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterdale graveyard
« on: Thursday 12 June 08 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi anyone know of a graveyard in Waterdale Claregalway,I don't think its been used since the late 60s. If anyone knows of it would it be easy to find ? And are there any headstones left standing? Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Waterdale graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
I've been to Claregalway & found that family's from Waterdale often used what today the local people call the old Cregg cemetery,there is the new Cregg cemetery (used from 1960s on-wards) which is on the road that links the two main roads N17 from Clargalway to N84 Corradulla,the old Cregg cemetery is opposite the new cemetery but in the middle of a field about half  a mile in,to get to it drive to-wards Claregalway from the new cemetery & take the first road on your right as you drive along look to your right over in the fields you will see the old cemetery about half a mile down this road on a bend you will see a large gate & a stile this is the right of way for the cemetery,you will see the walled cemetery in the distants,it is still about half a mile to walk ( if you dare, as I did you can take the car ).For an old cemetery its great it is very well looked after ,there are lots of headstones some easy to read  some not so easy.I did take photo's but if I ever work out how to post them thats another matter.If I can give you any other info on this lovely little cemetery just ask.Regards Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 August 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
Now I know how to post photo's I'll pop a few on - maybe of interest to someone looking up this cemetery - Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 08 11:52 BST (UK) »
Just two more .