Author Topic: McIntosh  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Doncam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McIntosh
« on: Saturday 14 June 08 03:41 BST (UK) »
Greetings, trying to find info on John McIntosh who was born in Banffshire in 1829 or 1830. He married Elizabeth Ferguson Cameron at Dundee in 1850 just prior to them going to Australia. Elizabeth was born in Dundee in 1833 or 1834 and was the daughter Of Hugh Cameron of Dundee. I'm trying to establish actual dates and then copies of Certificates. Any help would be appreciated.  Doncam.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
HI, Welcome to Rootschat! :)

I have had a quick look on the IGI and there are a few possible births for your John McIntosh. That was a very common surname in that part of the world unfortunately, it might help if you could give us any more details you might have to help narrow things down.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

I have not been able to find any mention of the marriage on either the IGI or Scotlands People. Were they Catholic, or another denomination that might not have been recorded with the Established church?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this information from? Some sources are more "reliable" than others, and some can be altered (eg 1840 census where ages were rounded to the nearest 5 years).

If you have anything else that might help, please share - then we might be able to help you further!

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Doncam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 08 09:32 GMT (UK) »
KirstG,
 Thank you for your response and I apologise in not replying earlier having been away. Your advice is sound - I have searched IGI and Scotlands People( they must love me) and there  is a marriage of John and Elizabeth Cameron (8th April 1853 in Auldearn)
My base information is from my late uncle who penned some history prior to his death 35 years ago and he wrote " In 1829 or 1830 John McIntosh was born in Banffshire, Scotland.  Elizabeth Ferguson Cameron was born in Dundee in 1833 or 34. She was the daughter of Hugh Cameron of that place. The young couple were married at Dundee in 1850."
From this scrap of information I have deduced that I have the correct marriage data and also that they had twin daughters , Jane and margaret, on the 17th June 1853!!!
It would appear that shortly after they left Scotland for Australia and produced a further 6 children here.
John disappeared  from the goldfields about the 1880's and foul play was suspected and as there was body, no death certificate nad no parentage.
I have found a John McIntosh born 20 May 1830 and baptised 8 April 1834in Kirkmichael and Tomintoull. the Register shows "N" ie non-legal issue. I can find no record of his parents James and his partner, Margaret Riach.
Sorry to fill you up with this diatribe but this genealogy is taxing!
Kind regards, Don