Author Topic: Virgin Family - to USA 1861-1867 - COMPLETED! Thank you  (Read 1607 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Virgin Family - to USA 1861-1867 - COMPLETED! Thank you
« on: Friday 21 January 05 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help with my errant family, who were living on the borders of Dorset and Devon in th 1861 census and then appear, or some of them at least, in Oakland, Michigan in the 1880 census. If anyone can help with passenger lists, I could perhaps see if the whole family went across.

The names and approx dates of birth of the ones that definitely went are -

John Virgin 1819
Ann Virgin 1824
Benjamin Virgin 1860

The two youngest children, Clara (1867) and Owen (1869) were born in Michigan, so they definitely went before then.

I've no idea about the older children - they were -

William (1846)
George (1847)
Robert(1848)
Mary (1851)
John(1853)
Henry(1854)
Samuel(1856) and
Ellen (1859)

Any pointers will be very gratefully received  :)

Thanks

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Virgin Family - to USA 1861-1867
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 03:28 GMT (UK) »
The family arrived in  the US on Sept 21, 1866, leaving from Liverpool and arriving in NY. The whole family is listed as you metion in you message.

You can order a copy of the orginal ship record from the Nara (National Archives) website.  They are pretty fast at filling orders. Here is the refernce to ask for.

Line:    31 
Microfilm Roll:    271 
List Number:    1075 
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 05 10:55 GMT (UK) »
My goodness that was fast!
Thank you so much Nutkin. This is the first time I've tried to trace a family branch across the pond and I'd been trawling round loads of recommended websites getting further and further bogged down :(

I'm just off to order the copy of the ship's record - another new experience....

I'm learning so much doing this research, thanks to people like you, so thank you very much for taking the time and trouble for me.

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Just joined RootsChat and flicking through old posts I found your interest in the family of Virgin that moved to America.

I don't know if it's of any use but my g.grandmother was called Mary Virgin - born round about 1856
whose father was a baker in Stockland, Devon (nr Axminster).  She married James Strawbridge 1887 and they had two daughters Ellen Mary (my grandmother) b.1888 and Edith b. 1890.  Mary died soon after giving birth to Edith at 34 yrs.

As I said there may not be any connection but then again  ................
I don't seem to have any luck looking for them at the moment.
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
1870 Census: Springfield, Oakland, Michigan
6 Sept 1870

Virgin, John, farmer,  $3000 real estate value, $400 personal
                         estate value, b. Eng, parents of foreign birth
           Ann, keeping house, b. Eng, parents of foreign birth
                         (pofb)
           George, 22, farm laborer, b. Eng, pofb, male US citizen
                              over 21
           Mary, 18, at home, b. Eng, pofb
           John, 16, farm laborer, b. Eng, pofb
           Samuel, 14, farm laborer, b. Eng, pofb
           Emily, 12, at school, b. Eng, pofb
           Benjamin, 9, at school, b. Eng, pofb
           Clare, 3, b. Michigan, pofb
           Owen, 1, b. Michigan, pofb

The children, Mary through Benjamin, have all attended school sometime in the last year.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
1900 Springfield, Oakland, Michigan
1 June 1900

Virgin, Benjamin, b. Dec 1860, 39, married (10 or 13 yrs)
                      b. Eng, parents b. Eng, immigrated 1865, 35
                      yrs in US, NAturalized, farmer, can read, write,
                      spks Eng, owns farm, mortgaged
           Ettie, wife, b. Feb 1862, 38, married (10 or 13 yrs)
                      mother of 2 children, 2 children living, b. Mich,
                      fa. b. New York, mo. b Ohio, can read, write
                      spks Eng
           Lloyd, son, b. Aug 1893, 6, b. Mich, fa. b. Eng, mo. b.
                      Mich, at school, 6 months
           Travis, b. Aug 1896, 3, b. Mich, fa. b. Eng, mo. b. Mich

I just noticed that this is a very old post.  Are you still interested in any information on the family?

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello BattyB and Genealiza

Thank you so much for your interest and information on my wandering Virgin family! As you noted, Genealiza, it was ages ago that I posted the query and I've found out a lot since then - even contacted a descendant or 2 of the family. I should have marked the post as completed - sorry about that  :-[

I really appreciate your interest though - rootschat people are always helpful!

Regarding BattyB's post - your Virgins are indeed the same family. I think your Mary's father was Thomas, born Membury in Devon in 1826, which makes us 4th cousins, since his father Henry is my ggg grandfather  ;D

I'll send you a PM in case you'd like to exchange more information.

Thanks again very much to both of you.

Regards

Angela