Author Topic: I Might Be Able to Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's  (Read 72468 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I Can Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian

Some goodnews/bad news for you.

Bad news first - didn't do any good with  MOUNTSTEVENS (various spelling), WIMBRIBGE/WEMBRIDGE, or BOON(E).

Good news - found CHANNING under the author's annex of tradesmen "Innkeepers - Channing - The Royal Marine".

Further good news if your ancestor was named Rab CHANNING, Taunton's champion wrestler! This name only gets mentioned once, but there is a bit about the author's witnessing wrestling matches in Taunton, which no doubt involved Rab CHANNING

If you think its your CHANNING, I'm quite happy to type it out for you later, rather than type it out now, and he's not yours.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Les
Thank you ever so much for looking for my relatives, one find is better than none thank you.
As for Rab Channing, Ive got him in my notes but not on my tree yet - I cant find out where he is connected yet! So Ill save your fingers for the moment, but thanks for offering to do a type up for me, if I ever find he is linked Ill come creeping then.
all the best
Marian

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 03:48 BST (UK) »
Les ..... you are most generous as usual.... do you see any BELL surnames in the book.
They flitted from Taunton to North Petherton which are only six miles apart to look for partners etc.
Joe in Sydney
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe - nothing found in the Tradesmen Annexure or Index for BELL, however, found this with the book's illustrations/notices;

"Ryan's Olympic Circus'. Holway Lane, Taunton. For the benefit of Dimond & Bell, on Saturday April 15th 1826, there will be a performance at 2 o'clock on which occasion Mr Ryan will appear on the tight rope and go through the whole of his wonderful feats".

No christian name, but if you can find a link with the surname Dimond, it may be connected to your Bell.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 04 September 08 01:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Les ........ you have prompted me to search for Dimond and Bell in Taunton to see if anything shows up.
The Taunton Courier of 1815 here; http://www.paulhyb.homecall.co.uk/news/TAUN1815.HTM
shows reference to both names which I found quite interesting.
All leads taken very seriously!!
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 04 September 08 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Joboy
I just wanted to thank you for putting that link in, I did find some of the people I was looking for, so that was really interesting.
thanks again
Marian

Offline debraanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Les
was wandering if you would be kind enough to see if any CLARK were there
my great grand father william john Clark was born Taunton 1846 living near minehead somerset in 1861 census  he was a harness maker he married an Elizabeth from Long Sutton

thankyou debra fom oz   :)
Gee longstanton
Thurlbourn / Thulborn  oakington

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra

Could't find the surname CLARK, but did find the surname CLARKE in the index seven times;

1. Rev. W.R
2. patten, clog & basket maker
3. Coachman
4. Joseph, ready made clothes shop
5. Harnessmaker
6. Hotel, formerly Sweet's.
7. Coachman for 20 years and keeper of "Old Angel" Inn.

In your posting you did mention harnessmaking, so I will give you that reference (No.5), though it doesn't indicate a great deal;

".........and Sweet, who I think was an ironmonger. Clarke, the harness maker lived next door; you had to mount four or five stone steps (some of them projecting on the footway) before you entered his shop. Gillard, a shoemaker, Upham, a hatter..........."

Yes, not a great deal there. I can give the extract for the others if you wish? Maybe the coachman are related to harnessmakers?

I see your ancestor was born in 1846, whereas the book relates to residents of the 1820's and 1830's (or thereabouts). Though could still be related?

Les

Offline onecoat

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi looking for the surname fudge, trying to find out the parents of John fudge born abt 1815, 1830

thanks onecoat
Edwards- South Wales, pembroke
Roberts- South Wales
Goff (Gough) - Somerset, wales
Miles - Surrey
Miles - Scotland
Miles - India
brock- lambeth
brock- oxford
mcdermott - ballymena
crow - lincolnshire
fudge - somerset