Author Topic: I Might Be Able to Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's  (Read 72486 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I Can Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry Onecoat, the surname FUDGE does not appear in any of the Indexes within the book.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline onecoat

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking, back to the drawing board, john fudge parents dont seem to want to be found for some reason,

regards onecoat
Edwards- South Wales, pembroke
Roberts- South Wales
Goff (Gough) - Somerset, wales
Miles - Surrey
Miles - Scotland
Miles - India
brock- lambeth
brock- oxford
mcdermott - ballymena
crow - lincolnshire
fudge - somerset

Offline sjohnstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there

How very kind of you to do these looks ups for us.

I am interested in  Robert Huett, and his wife Eleanor Hucklebridge.  How long they were in Tauton I'm not sure, but they lived there when my GGgrandafather was born in 1820.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi sjohnstone

Couldn't find Huett surname, but surname of Hucklbridge appears twice, though not Eleanor, but Tom (probably related?).

1) In the author's Tradesmen Appendix; "Painters and Plumbers - Hucklebridge"

2) The author's description of North Street "......next came Bishop, a printer. There was a large china shop near, the owner of which was Banfield. Next door was Tom Hucklebridge's plumbing and glazing shops, and adjoining, Richard and Stephen Reeves' coach manufactory.........." Unfortunatley, not a great deal, at least something is better thant nothing when family researching. Just a note, Huckelbrdige's reference did state "shops" (plural).

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline sjohnstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Les de B. What an amazing book you have!

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Les de B - Many thanks for your service. How about the LANE & LOCK family? Will this be a hit or a miss in your book?

Current head of this family tree is my 3xGGF Robert LANE (n. c1812), Ironfounder, and 3xGGM Elizabeth LOCK (n. c1809, spinster) who m. 21.7.1831 at the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Taunton. They appeared to have had at least four children according to the 1851 census (then at White Hall, Taunton).

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 16 October 08 02:00 BST (UK) »
How about the LANE & LOCK family? Will this be a hit or a miss in your book?

Hi Mark

Yes, this was a "hit & miss" result i.e. a hit with LOCK surname, but nothing for LANE. Unfortunately, no christian names mentioned, but an occupation of Coal Merchant which I presume is associated with Irongmonger?

1) Author's Tradesman Appendix - "Coal Merchants - Lock", though there was also a heading of "Cutlers, Ironmongers & Tinmen", but no Lock under that heading.

2) Part description of East Street ".........the three shops next were occupied by Spencer, a confectioner, Trapnell, a grocer, and Parsons, a currier, then came five private residences, the occupier's names being Cornish, Seaward, Beadon, Lock and Noble; next came Jack Bastable's open clog, patten last shop; Murrey a baker lived next door............."

3) This excerpt relates to the author's walk through Taunton in 1886, not of his memories of 1820's/30's ".... the shop now occupied by Lock, the baker, stands on the site of an open blacksmith's shop, owned by  man named Kallend, where could be seen and heard bellows blowing, hammering, fires blazing, sparks flying and horses shying......" I can't really decipher where the author was talking about, but I think its somewehere around the old Turnpike Gate area(?).

4) Author describing describing the Castle Inn "...........Jim Hollier, the head ostler, was usually seen and heard halloing to the other ostlers, or talking to Best about Day and Martin's blacking, or with Lock, the waiter. Long Jim Saunders, chubby-faced, Bill Miller, bandy-legged Jack Stradling, the post boys dressed in yellow jackets........"

5) Author describing working conditions of about 100  "roughest and coarsest men" working on the river in relation to coal barges. "........the merchants who employed these men were Badcock, Davey, Hammet, Kinsbury, Lock, Stone, Trood, Ball, Joyce, Lleewellen, Potter, Foxwell, Pring and Pain."

So, nothing really there to confirm your LOCK ancestors, only surnames and occupation. Hopefully, you might be able to match them up somewhere else - good luck!

Les

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 16 October 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Les - Much obliged.

Offline Deb S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 30 October 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Any chance you could do a quick look for JOHN MATTERFACE, Whitesmith (tin) (b 1796) who, I believe, lived in Taunton abt 1812-21, with his young family? He may have married a local girl (Sarah Hooper) at St Mary Magdalene's  on 26 DEC 1811.

Thank you!
Bowermans of Honiton, Devon; Browns of South Shields, Durham; Clares and Townsins of Northamptonshire; Coopers of Halstead, Essex; Leathleys of Morley; Smiths of Alne, North Yorks.