Author Topic: Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs  (Read 25136 times)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glassford OPR Burial Records/MIs
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hume, Yvonne, Lodger and Sancti

Thanks so much for your replies, which have been enormously helpful.

Well done, Yvonne! Yes, I think this Gavin Paterson could well be my ancestor. Is there a record that mentions his wife and other children? Are Netherfield Dyke and Nethershields in close proximity to each other?

It's interesting, Sancti, that the Strathaven cemetery is associated with covenanting, as my Gavin Paterson was indeed a covenanter.  My GGGG grandparents were Gavin Paterson and Janet Rodger, who lived in Nethershields, but I am desperately trying to determine the names of Gavin Paterson's parents. I am relatively certain that the Gavin Paterson mentioned below is his father but his wife's name isn't cited. The following is from The Statistical Accounts of Scotland (Parish of Glassford 1834-45) taken from the Glassford kirk sessions:

Item: About the said year 1685, Alexander Hamilton and John Struthers in Shawtonhill, John Semple in Shawton, John Fleming in Chapelton, John Walker there, James Scott there, John Paterson there, John Semple in Nethershields, William Semple there, Gavin Paterson there, John Marshall, elder and younger, Chapelton, and James Lowrie there, were sorely troubled and harassed by the then Lord Glassford, who caused a troop of soldiers to search for and apprehend them, upon pretence of conversing with, resetting and giving entertainment to persons who had been in arms against the established Government, and having been actually in arms themselves; upon which allegencies, the said persons were imprisoned fourteen days in Edinburgh, and put to much expense in employing agents to defend them, and although the said Lord Glassford summoned many witnesses to compear against them, yet could he not get anything proven against them.

Item: Gavin Paterson in Nethershields was fined in three dollars, which he accordingly paid, for his wife not hearing the curate.

Lodger, thanks for posting those photos of The Glessart. Who are the Patersons buried there from 1706? Are they too numerous to cite? Alternatively, is there a sexton at The Glessart I could contact by email or post (as I am in Australia)?

Many thanks again to you all for your great help.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodeo

I have checked for any other connection to Gavin (Gaven) Paterson and I'm afraid cannot find anything!

Only other connection would be with the abode, I found this name

Avondale Mortcloths

Paterson    Aug 1791  Wm Patersons child Netherfield. Arrears of Mortcloths at Lambas 1791   1 shilling

Regards

Yvonne

McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne, the Paterson MI at Glassford is quite worn, the stone is a "flat stone" (I think you can see one in the photographs). Some of the inscription has gone I'm afraid, but here's what's left.

This stone is placed here by John Paterson with a view to perpetuate the memory ............................. (worn) and Andrew Paterson, mason in Chapelton and Marion Semple his spouse. The former died 30th May 1706 and the latter died 28th April 1708, each in their seventies.
Hope this is of some use to you.
Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger

The mortcloths only start from the middle to late 18th Century in my records.  So anything before that is hard to find.

Going by occupation (Mason) I found a death record for a:-

Paterson Alexander died 17 Aug 1838 son of John Paterson, Mason in the 2

Could John possible be a son to the said Andrew!

Regards

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 June 08 11:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information, Yvonne and Lodger, which I'll follow up. It is likely, Lodger, that this John Paterson, mason, in Chapelton is the brother of my Gavin Paterson.

All the best,

Rodeo

Offline tanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 July 08 04:26 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for Paterson burials in Avondale/Strathaven.  Can anyone do a look up for me? Grizel Anderson nee Paterson who died between 1804 and 1841.

Thanks so much.

Tana Anderson
Des Moines, Iowa

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 July 08 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Tana,
Checked the Avondale OPRs (pre 1855 burial and mortcloth records) also Strathaven, Glassford and Stonehouse monumental inscriptions. No luck with any of them I'm afraid.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline tanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 July 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Lodger -

Thank you so very much for your help.  The search continues....

Tana

Offline Elmca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »

Local families buried there include - Allan, Ballantyne,  Hamilton (largest amount) Park, Paterson, Robertson, Semple, Shearer, Watson and Wilson.

Lodger.
:)Hi, I am researching the Allan line of my family and as they came from Glassford I was very interested to see your post - I have a booklet with the transcriptions for Glassford Parish but my Allan family are not in it.  Perhaps they are buried in another cemetery mentioned....how can I find out?  Is there a website or anything in print?  The names I am looking for are John Allan (mason) who died between 1851 & 1861 and his wife Isabella Hamilton who died in 1870 age 62 years.  Her parents were Thomas Hamilton (farmer) & Martha Struthers.  Thank you. 
Young (Midlothian/Berwickshire/Fife)
Gibb (Ayrshire/Lanarkshire)
McCulloch (Ireland/Lanarkshire)
Affleck (Ireland/Midlothian)
McFadzean/McFadyen (Ireland/Ayrshire)
Sommerville (Ayrshire/Motherwell)