Author Topic: Bygone Dublin street  (Read 26625 times)

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bygone Dublin street
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 July 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for posting that.  I couldn't imagine what Chamber Street looked like.  Is that the spire of St. Patrick's Cathedral in the far distance?

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Here is an old pic of Chamber St.
Decam would you know if there is a similar picture of Cork St please? I am hoping to find my ancestors in St Catherine's Meath Street and there were Brooks families living in Cork St in 1844 Jury Lists for Dublin. My ancestors left Dublin when the silk weaving went into decline by 1830's they had moved to Coventry where they continued to be weavers.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 July 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
pity about not being able to scan the cert.I wonder if you gave the
reference number for the cert would someone have a way of checking it for you.
I also forgot to mention that number 40 was one of many tenement houses on chamber street.
I seem to remember seeing a photo on line of red brick houses.
chamber street is mentioned a few times in a book called dublin tenement life,
some stories told by people born there,my own dad and several of his siblings were born there and lived there til his mid teens.
                                                            Anne

Taid could you give any more details re the book on Dublin Tenement life.  What period it covered and when it was printed please?  Do you know whether Cork St was mentioned?
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham, the book is an oral history so most of the personal
stories were told by people in their seventies and eighties ,
the book was first published in hardback in 1994 and the first
paperback version came out in 1996 but I know there were later
copies made. one presently being advertised as in stock on
Gill&mcmillan .ie
There are old photos but I don't think Cork st was among them.
As well as the stories from residents of the area (and other areas)
there is also information like what official bodies were saying on the problem of tenements e.t.c. A very interesting read.
Anything I know of Cork st and Chamber st would be mostly stories from my parents and older siblings who lived in the area.You will see what changes have taken place there if you check out the link below to the Dublin forums
site which has a lot of photos and memories from people who were originally from the area.
You've also managed to send me down memory lane again :D
although even I have trouble recognising Cork st since all the
 changes took place.My visits back there were to visit my grandmother
and aunt.
                                  Anne

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06ny/
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 July 09 06:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Anne.  I have never been to Dublin but hope to see it one day.
Leics. Vincent

Offline deccam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 July 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for posting that.  I couldn't imagine what Chamber Street looked like.  Is that the spire of St. Patrick's Cathedral in the far distance?

Your'e most welcome,I would be pretty sure thats St. Patricks Cathedral in the distance,looks like the pic was taken from the Weaver Square end of Chamber St. towards Newmarket with the Cathedral beyond.The alternative would have been taken from the Ardee St. end with the church in Donore Avenue in the distance,but that church doesn't have a spire like that so it's Patricks for me.

Offline deccam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 July 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Here is an old pic of Chamber St.
Decam would you know if there is a similar picture of Cork St please? I am hoping to find my ancestors in St Catherine's Meath Street and there were Brooks families living in Cork St in 1844 Jury Lists for Dublin. My ancestors left Dublin when the silk weaving went into decline by 1830's they had moved to Coventry where they continued to be weavers.
I don't have any old pics of Cork St. but if I come across any  I will stick them up here.Just as an aside there were still Brooks in the area up to recently.

Offline deccam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 July 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Here's a couple of recent pics of Chamber St.

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 July 09 20:44 BST (UK) »
Good to see those new pics.  Is that a speed hump?  I was interested in the comment about silk weaving going into decline.  My grandmother (who married one of the sons from Chamber Street) was a silk weaver.  She'd carried on that trade in Macclesfield, and emigrated with her mother to Dublin for reasons we don't know.  She was born in England, although her grandfather had himself emigrated from King's County, so she was coming home in a way.  I believe she carried on weaving in Dublin, probably on a loom at home.

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned being unable to make out my great-grandfather's occupation on my grandfather's marriage certificate (Rank or Profession of Father at the extreme right).  I've since sorted out the scanner, so I wonder if anybody would like to suggest what it was?  I've also attached a couple of smaller images for comparison purposes.  I wish people filling these things in would have printed.