Author Topic: Re: Ballantyne Glassford/West Quarter  (Read 11704 times)

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantyne Glassford/West Quarter
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 October 08 15:15 BST (UK) »
Chris

Once again my thanks for the interesting data you have found on Janet!  I have been away on hols and just back,  so what a pleasant surprise to read all your information.   I shall carry on trying to find more info on Janet. Unfortunately when you live so far away,  it becomes very hard indeed!

Regards Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline yolly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 January 09 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lodger & Yvonne
Re: Lodger's posting 19 June 08 (see Quote below) and Also Yvonne's posting18 June 08

My name is Yolande and I'm very interested in the Ballantyne stones at Glassford...esp the four that are in a row.  My Ballantynes are directed related to these.  Andrew & Helen (nee Craig) are my 3 x G grandparents. Isabella is their daughter and william (and Christine Dow) are Andrew's brother and the margaret ballantyne (With Robert Watson) is William's daughter.  Some of the others are possibly related and i'm still trying to find the connection.

Is it possible to get pictures of the stones? i've been searching the web for a Glassford cemetery site or historical society, but can not find one. 

Yvonne - Andrew Ballantyne is the son of Andrew Ballantyne & Isabella Young...they had 8 children that i know about including a James (Born 1787 in Glassford) i was wondering if he might be the same James as your's? i have no other information on my James though.

Regards
Yolande (from Australia)

Yvonne, there are 4 stones in a row at Glassford, all with a Ballantyne connection. I would guess it is the same family.

1. - Erected by Margaret Ballantyne in memory of her husband Robert Watson who died 31st Dec 1893 aged 56. There is a list of 7 children who all died young, 3 Christina's, William, Robert, John  and Marion. No date of death for Margaret.

2. - William Ballantyne died 6th March 1842 aged 51. Wife Christina Dow died 21st April 1877 aged 76. Daughter Elizabeth died at Limekilnburn 27th March 1883 aged 41. (wife of James Bryson).

Limekilnburn is the old name for Quarter.

3. - Isabella Ballantyne died 2nd Feb 1905 aged 80. Husband George clelland died 4th Nov 1866 aged 47. Daughters and grandchildren buried here, Somervilles and McAlpine.
4. - Andrew Ballantyne farmer, Shotlin died 21st April 1863 aged 70. Wife Helen Craig died 7th Nov 1881 aged 75. Son Andrew died 14th April 1872 aged 46. James Ballantyne died 24th Aug 1911 aged 80. (His wife Agnes Craig died 3rd Sept 1889 aged 52).

Also the following -

No 23. - Erected by John Ballantyne in memory of his wife Abigail Stewart Wilson died 5th Nov 1867 aged 28. Also his parents and their children. (sic) (Rest of inscription has worn away).

No 30. - Erected by William Ballantyne in memory of his father George died 15th Feb 1889 aged 52. Also our mother Jane Caldwell died 26th Feb 1926 aged 91, late of Limekilnburn.
(this stone badly broken)

No 42. - Erected by Janet Ballantyne in memory of her husband Thomas McConchie died 22nd Dec 1870 aged 51.

No 83. - Here lyes the corps of Ann, daughter of John Ballantyne, tenant in <Brounrod> she died <July> 1805.

Very worn, so not sure about the words in brackets but I think Brounrod could be Browntod. A tod is the old Scots name for a fox. I think there is still a farm of that name near Quarter. A tenant was of course a tenant farmer.

No 85. - Erected by Hugh Ballantyne and Christina Wilson his wife in memory of their children. Gilbert died 6th Oct 1845. Margaret died 11th Nov 1845. Jane died 5th Dec 1849. Andrew died 8th June 1870 aged 36. Christina, daughter of Robert Ballantyne died 31st May 1871 aged 2 years 7 months.

Thats all the Ballantynes.

Lodger.

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 January 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yolande

On reading your post I pulled James Ballantyne's death cert out to check.  His father was Andrew Ballantyne (Farmer) and mother was Elizabeth Young!  James died in 1882 aged 81 years.  I somehow think there definitely is a connection but not absolutely sure as my James is 13 years younger than James born 1787!  With reference to  the names  Elizabeth and Isabella, I think these names are somehow closely connected, I'm not sure but is Isabella Spanish for Elizabeth?  My James Ballantyne also had a daughter called Isabella! So the same names run down the family.

As I cannot confirm James Ballantyne's parents properly, I have not been able to find any of his siblings, so find myself at a full stop!

Sorry I cannot help with the photo's Yolande, as I live in Ireland.  Hopefully some kind person will help you with that!

Regards

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline yolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 January 09 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for checking...i did wonder about the age difference, but have so often come across similar differences that i thought there may have been a chance that the two James may have been the same.  I guess there must be plenty of Ballantynes out there.

Thanks for posting.

Regards

Yolande

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MI's Glassford/West Quarter
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 May 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
Looking for another family James CRAIG, shoemaker of Chapelton, died in August 1796. I think his wife, Jean Broun, died later. Probably also their son, William and his wife, Marion in 1785 and 96.

Very early, I know.
Any help appreciated.