Author Topic: Derry records  (Read 3391 times)

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derry records
« on: Thursday 19 June 08 01:44 BST (UK) »
I'm going back to Ireland shortly and have a goal to make some progress on last summer's trip.  Previous trips to PRONI have proven helpful.  This time I was hoping to make it to the Genealogical Centre in Londonderry but have been told it has been closed.  Can anyone confirm this.  If so, where would someone recommend looking for further baptism, cemetery and church records for Derry.  I still have not found the grave of several great-great grandfathers (was one of the founders of Magilligan Presbyterian Church in the early 1800s and his eldest son's spinster daughters are buried there but he nor his other sons are buried there).  I want to be able to scour some of the records of churches there (quessing that they would be somewhere between Magilligan and Derry (rejecting the theory that my relatives would have hiked over the hill and some 5 miles to go to church in Articlave - preferring instead to take an easier walk to some place in the flat lands). 

Thanks in advance for any tips. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Derry records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 June 08 08:28 BST (UK) »
Derry Genealogical has been closed for some time and I haven't heard anything about it for months now although an e-mail I got in response to an inquiry did say it might open in the future.

If you are going to be in Belfast PRONI have microfilmed copies of many church records.
If you are going to be staying in County Londonderry then Coleraine Library also have the copies of church records from PRONI.

I have a list of churches and dates so let me know if there's anything in particular you might be looking for.

Most Presbyterian churches kept records of baptisms and marriages, communicants and sometimes visitation lists although dates for these records vary from church to church. In general Presbyterians didn't, and most still don't, keep burial records but many, not all, churches have a list of plots and/or a graveyard map.
However, many Presbyterians are buried in Church of Ireland burying grounds. Often the Parish churches didn't keep a record of Presbyterian burials in their burial registers and many old stones were discarded.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Magilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 19:17 BST (UK) »
I have just purchased an interesting little booklet (downloaded from UlsterHeritage.com) called Scots-Irish Origins 1600-1800 A.D., Part One--Vital Records of the Scots-Irish from the Parish of Magilligan by Bobby Forrest, 2008.  Although mostly before the time you're looking for, there are some name tidbits after 1800.  If your ancestors came from this area, you might find this rather interesting.  It's very reasonable--$9.95 U.S.  I'm not sure what names you are looking for, but I would be happy to browse my copy for names with approximate dates.  There are Callwell, Calwell, Caldwell names mentioned.

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
Much appreciated.  We returned from another trip to Magilligan without any success in finding additional graves.  Caldwell is unfortunately all too common of a Scottish origin name.  The Caldwells we are most interested in are:  John and Alex Caldwell (Alex died in 1890s, John was his father and the father of my emmigrant great-4- grandfather).  We have the refernce to a David "Calwell" in the Magilligan area (Ballyleighery) in the early 1700s and are not trying to trace up through him to John.  We also have references to Robert and Luke Caldwells in the area at that time too, but have yet to be able to connect them other than being in the area. 

Any help appreciated.  Each trip out there feels like a trip to my past and a soulful reconnection to my roots.   

Offline Magilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 00:30 BST (UK) »
  Alex'r and John Caldwell are both mentioned on page 39 (under TIRCREEVAN) of a "brilliant...packed with information on a dozen townlands in Magilligan" Manuscript valuation book c. 1800, available at  PRONI D/1514/2/4/16, Hervey/Bruce Estate Papers.
Under the yearly rent roll of Lord Bristol's lands c. 1795 is listed TIRCREEVAN-Caldwell's --18 pounds and the half-yearly rents 1794-1797 is TIRCREEVAN--Messrs Caldwell. 
 There is an Alexander Caldwell credited with 2 wheels, according to the Flax Premium Returns 1796, and a John Callwell of Drumacardee on the Hearth Money Roll of 1663--definitely before the times you're interested in, but you never know.
There are other Caldwells with numerous spellings, but no other Alexanders or Johns.
 Caldwell family wills (1746-1789)are covered in the Tenison-Groves manuscript (T/808/2303-2385 and T/808/2492-2503), but this seems to be the Robert/Luke side.  If you are descended from a Robert, this will might interest you:
T/808/2492 - Derry Will made 17 February 1753 proved 23 July 1753
Robert Caldwell of the parish of Tamloughard Co. Londonderry
Land to son William Caldwell who is unmarried, he maintaining testator's wife and children; 15 pounds each to son Robert Caldwell and daughters Margert and Isbell; Executors--John Flimen and Luke Caldwell; Overseer: Rev. Benjamin Bacon; Witnesses:  John Lee and John Teylor
I hope this helps.  I visited Magilligan in 2006--my grandmother was married in Magilligan Presbyterian in 1899, and it is a lovely area.  It really sets you to thinking about what life was like for our forefathers.   Good luck.

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  My great grandfather (4x) was on the first register for the Magilligan Presby Church and two of his son's daughters are buried there so we stopped by again this trip.  It is a truly breathtaking place.  Last year we hiked to the cliff overlooking Magilligan, where you can see down toward Derry and it was based on that view that we initially thought our family would have gone south toward Limavady as opposed to over the hill to church in Articlave (before the Magilligan Presby Church was founded).  Still haven't figured that one out but your research may bear clues and we will pursue them.  Thanks a ton.  Also, having driven this time from Limavady to Glendermott I decided that although flat, I doubt any farmers from Magilligan would go that far by foot or horse to church (thereby in my mind probably ruled out that any of the Magilligan Caldwells would have elected to be buried as far down as Derry).  Hopefully your information will lead to some new ideas and clues.  Thanks again.