Author Topic: SPROAT Family  (Read 17979 times)

Offline syasmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SPROAT Family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 April 12 10:56 BST (UK) »
New part to an old thread . . hope you can help. Jessie Porter (dau Wm Porter & Agnes Sproat) married Wm Boyd in 1872 in Gibbshouse. They dont appear to have had any children but they did have a child born at their home in 1887 - Sarah Young Watson illegitimate dau Margaret Mair Watson. in 1891 census SYW shows as 4yo boarder of Wn & Janet. In 1901 she shows as 14yo dau Sarah Boyd. Sarah went on to be known as Sadie Winifred Boyd, who emigrated to Australia & married John McKinstry in 1915.

in the 1901 census, Elizabeth Sloan also appears as Sister in law to Wm Boyd.

if anyone has any info on Margaret Mair (who m Wm Dobie in 1891) or Sarah-Sadie, I'd love to hear . . i i suspect Sarah's dad MIGHT have been a John Loudon who lived at Clonyard house. Any pix out there of Gibbs house or Clonyard House?

Offline dollysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 April 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Syasmum,
Thanks for the info.
Are your ancestors the same as mine or are you like Kirsty and love solving problems?
It's a long time since I have dipped into my tree because I hit a brick wall on all branches.
However, I do have a picture of Gibbs House which was taken in the 60's. The farmland was sold off to a holiday chalet company.
Gibbs House has since been renovated and more wings added. The views from the house are glorious.
I'd love to hear what your connection to the family is and in the meantime I'll try and attach the photo. (Have just tried but can't find it. Busy at the moment but will keep looking.)
Shirley
Porter, Sloan, Crosbie, Murdoch, Tait, Rae, McCoskry, McLellan, Howell.
All in Kirkcudbrightshire.

Offline syasmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 April 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley
Sadie Boyd is my hubbies grannie. We had traced her back to Wm & Agnes via her marriage certificate (which listed Wm & Jessie Boyd as her parents). Couldnt find her birth certificate then realised Wm & Jessie way too old to have been her parents. That lead to the Sarah Young Watson connection.

I see you are Eliz Sloan gt gt grandaughter. Do yo have a ree on Ancestry.com?

Offline dollysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 April 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Syasmum,
No, sorry, I don't have an Ancestry tree. I only used to use Ancestry for the info. I have a private Family tree maker.
As soon as I have some time I shall enter your info on my tree and work out how your husband and I are related.
Elizabeth Sloan (nee Porter) married John and had a son, John who was born in Kippford. His father was drowned at sea when John junior was only 2 yrs of age. He went to Preston University and met my G Grandmother Louisa Stanton in Liverpool.
Elizabeth remained a widow for the rest of her life.

Where do you live now? What is your name?

Shirley

Offline syasmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 April 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley
my name is Frana McKinstry, i live in Townsville, North Qld Australia. I was born in NZ & my family on Father's side all from Scotland, Mum's side all English (+ via Ireland), but both lots had emigrated to NZ & Australia. Jon (hubbbie) fathers side all Scots-Irish and his mum all English.

Offline dollysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Frana,
I have found pics of Gibbs House. I don't know whether Rootschat will allow all of them but I'll try and send them.
I don't think the rules allow private email addresses either.

Shirley

Offline dollysearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 April 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Frana,
Here is the the inscription on Grave 224 at Colvend cemetary;
Inscription 224

In memory of William Porter, who died at Gibbshouse, 19th April 1867, aged 86 years, at the same place Agnes Sproat, spouse of the above who died 16th Dec’r. 1867 aged 78 years. And Thomas Porter, their son who died at Woodhouse, 28th Dec’r. 1868, aged 59 years. Also Peter Porter, who died at Gibbshouse, 24th May 1880, aged 74 years. Jessie Boyd wife of William Boyd, who died at Gibbshouse, 19th March 1901 aged 61 years. Elizabeth Sloan, wife of John Sloan, and daughter of the above William Porter, died at Gibbshouse, 25th July 1916, aged 89 years. 'Thy will be done.’
I found this in www.kirkyards.co.uk
Did you receive the pic of Gibbs House?
Shirley