Author Topic: DAVIES, James Patrick, b.1854, Cloonkeen, Killian, Galway to Australia  (Read 2666 times)

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I appear to have traced my husband's g.g.grandfather James Patrick Davies  (b. 1854) to his origins in Cloonkeen (Ffrench), parish of Killian, Co.  Galway. He enlisted in  the Irish Constabulary at age 19, in 1874.   
He came to Australia as a young man, possibly accompanied by his two brothers, year unknown though before 1883, when he married Elizabeth McSHERRY in Brisbane, Queensland.  He and Elizabeth had the following children, all born in Sydney:
Elizabeth, b. 1884; John b. 1885; Joseph b. 1886; Charles b. abt.  1902; Helen b. 1904; Thomas b. 1907.

He died in Sydney, Australia, but as there are so many James Davies, without knowing his parents names, he is proving most difficult to determine the correct death entry.

If anyone recognises this family line, or could provide any information at all, either from Galway or Australia, I would be very, very appreciative.  I can't find him on any shipping records - plenty of James Davies, but no conclusive details.

Essentially, I am trying to find the names of his parents and siblings.  Can anyone advise of a website where I can find his birth + parents.  He's not in the IGI.

found - parents are Geoffrey Paul and Honorah, nee Fletcher, m. abt 1840, Go.Galway. Part of landed gentry- estates at Kentstown, parish Killian, Co. Galway.

If anyone has information on the Fletcher line, this would be much appreciated. Fletchers also held lands in Galway and elsewhere in the 1800s.

With thanks - RobynD
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.