Author Topic: 1871 census tillicoultry clackmannan  (Read 3251 times)

Offline valerieann

• RootsChat Extra
  • james gordon & robina Fife of clackmannan
    • View Profile
1871 census tillicoultry clackmannan
« on: Friday 20 June 08 03:51 BST (UK) »
My cousin sent me from ancestry, a 1871 census, this is the only census I;ve never viewed, & with my James Gordon who on the census is now 55yrs ,so born abt 1816,in other census;s hes 5-7 yrs older, the bonus is theres awilliam gordon aged 78,(born abt 1793), & a mary 70yrs )born abt 1801),-I would dearly love to know where they were both born,& are they the parents of my James, James died jul 1871 & on his death cert, he was put at 50 yrs & parents unknown, so 16 years later i might have a lead? the census

says, Tillicoultry clkmn, Address 20 town foot,-- ED 6, Household Schedule 119, line 4,- roll cssct1871_80
thanks valerieann
Base/gilham /horn/ brightman/bell  of norfolk england<br />worthington /gilding leicester & notts<br />rose/caunt/cooper/carlisle notts<br />gordon /allan/fife/cook/snadon/stenhouse at clackmannan scotland

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census tillicoultry clackmannan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they are mis-transcribed on Ancestry. I looked at the original.

It is Mary Gordon age 10 daughter and William Gordon age 18 son. All the children were born in Tillicoultry.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline valerieann

• RootsChat Extra
  • james gordon & robina Fife of clackmannan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 08 03:48 BST (UK) »
thanks for that,I was looking & twigged on they might be mary & william children, oh well back to the drawing board, & james Gordon has altered his age once again ,from 1821-1823 now abt 1816, life wasnt meant to be easy,
regards valerie
Base/gilham /horn/ brightman/bell  of norfolk england<br />worthington /gilding leicester & notts<br />rose/caunt/cooper/carlisle notts<br />gordon /allan/fife/cook/snadon/stenhouse at clackmannan scotland

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 08 04:26 BST (UK) »
So...have you found any record of his birth...even a maybe ??? Have you a marriage because his wife's name Robina is unusual I think.... ???

I did find a marriage on IGI of a James Gordon and a Robina Allen -  12 AUG 1846 - Clackmannan, Clackmannan, Scotland......could be them  :-\  You have probably seen that already.

Haven't done much research in the day in Scotland because most of my lot were Irish who emigrated to Scotland post 1900. Hopefully someone with experience in the past will be able to help you.    

About the age thing....I reckon age and birth dates weren't an issue for them like it is in our culture today  ;D Keeping food on the table was probably the main priority  :D ......and, it also depends who was filling out the census record....in my experience some were very creative  :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::)

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 08 04:38 BST (UK) »
P.S. I hope some one has welcomed you to Rootschat ...if not welcome  :D However, one thing you should know.......it's very addictive  :P

mab