Author Topic: Odd first name  (Read 5176 times)

Offline bossy wifey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Odd first name
« on: Friday 20 June 08 20:54 BST (UK) »
In our family we have a Mynott born in 1827. At a time when it was more usual to give a child a traditional name Mynott stands out rather. Has anyone met this name before or know the derivation of it. If it's a surname used as a Christian name it isn't his mother's.

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Odd first name
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 08 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi bossey wifey

I have seen Mynot as a christian name whilst carrying out research. Although not researching the Milton family, I have a Mynot Milton born 1804 connected to my tree. Mynots family were from Farnham, Essex.

Regards

Martin
Warwick- Farnham Essex, Pelhams, Hadhams & Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire, Lee Kent.

Offline bossy wifey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 08 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi bossey wifey

I have seen Mynot as a christian name whilst carrying out research. Although not researching the Milton family, I have a Mynot Milton born 1804 connected to my tree. Mynots family were from Farnham, Essex.

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply.

It's very interesting because my Mynott comes from Henham in Essex only a mile or two NE from your man. There must be something local that has triggered the choice of name. I must investigate further.

regards

Monica

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 21:34 BST (UK) »
If you just put Mynot* in to the 1851 census search it comes up with 16 people with that Christian name.
Predominantly Essex, some Hertfordshire and elsewhere

Wouldnt be surprised if they are all related - maybe a surname from some generations back that has been carried forward.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bossy wifey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 12:39 BST (UK) »
If you just put Mynot* in to the 1851 census search it comes up with 16 people with that Christian name.
Predominantly Essex, some Hertfordshire and elsewhere

Wouldnt be surprised if they are all related - maybe a surname from some generations back that has been carried forward.

Thanks for that; it would be intersting to know just where they all join up but that's a job for another day . Apart from another reply on RootsChat I hadn't come across another Mynot/Mynott/Mynot*. Also thanks for the * tip.

regards

Monica

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Recorded in many spelling forms all quite rare and including: Mignot, Minet, Mynett and Mynott, this is an English surname, but of pre-medieval French origins. Probably introduced by the Normans after the invasion of 1066, it is derived from the word 'mignot', meaning dainty. As such it was originally either a baptismal name of endearment, or later a nickname surname. Humour in the Middle Ages was very robust, and many nicknames, most of which were given to males, were the reverse of the literal meaning. Hence in the famous fables of Robin Hood, the second in command of the outlaws was one "Little John", was so named because he was the largest of the band!

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Mynott

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 13:09 BST (UK) »
Lucky you getting a distinctive first name- helps sort out the possibles and finding them living relatively closeby is another bonus-
Good luck in your tying it all together.

charlotte

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 08 01:44 BST (UK) »
If, in the IGI, you just put Mynot as given name and select British Isles as the region, it brings up some 51 entries (various spellings).

JAP

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 June 08 04:43 BST (UK) »
Tantalising that there are the different spellings with them all as candidates for your consideration given that transcriptions can't be relied upon nor can what was written in the original register given the level of literacy etc.

Maybe location would be a better guide way back to possible connections?
charlotte