Author Topic: Mary Ann Cotton 1839-1873 Durham  (Read 61071 times)

Offline Toprobate

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Cotton 1839-1873 Durham
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder if those of you who have read the book "Mary Ann Cotton, Dead but not Forgotten", by Tony Whitehead or watched the Ladykillers on TV have any evidence to show that Mary Ann Robson's mother was Margaret. The Ladykillers constantly refers to Margaret as her mother.

I believe from my previous postings that her mother was actually Isobella. Maybe a new theory but one that should have been investigated by the author of the book and by the TV programme, as I believe the evidence that they use leaves doubt. Someone mentioned that the book shows her birth registration. Maybe they would reproduce what they claim is evidence of her birth to Margaret and Michael.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong?  :)

Offline Toprobate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
Update on my earlier comment about Michael Robson being a Tinker. Many apologies but the word is Sinker not Tinker.

(SINKER.     A skilled man who contracted to sink new shafts.)

Offline Glitterlamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 17 June 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
In Tony Whitehead's book, it shows what looks like a photocopy of the actual Baptismal Register, West Rainton 1832, Rainton Chapel Houghton le Spring : Nov 11th 1832 child Mary Ann, Daughter of Michael and Margaret Robson, abode Low Moorsley.

Offline Toprobate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 17 June 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Glitterlamp.

IGI seems to have it wrong

Offline Glitterlamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 17 June 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
I did see the entry you mentioned on the IGI and it does say mother ISABELLA, however, I don't know where the information comes from on the IGI. I am sure there are many on this forum that will know the answer to that one.   Tony Whitehead's book has photocopies of certificates, census, etc which makes it an interesting read. 

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Monday 12 July 10 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello All
I came across this thread and wondered if there was anyone else here researching the Mowbray's of Durham (my family) to figure out where William Mowbray fits in. MAC's William seems not to be a direct ancestor of mine - but perhaps he was a cousin or brother of my lot. My direct is William Mowbray b. 1790 Chester le Street, Durham d.1871. The family were all miners or stonemasons. Does anyone have info on MA's first hubby?
Lee
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

I'm fascinated with Mary Ann Cotton's story; I've jotted down the names of her parents (though there seems to be some controversy about her mother's Christian name) and the names of her four husbands.

I wanted to trace the names of all her children with their dates (at least year) of birth and death. It's all very confusing because there seems to be a mix up of children, step-children and so on.

So far I've traced these children:
(1st marriage to William Mowbray, married 1852, died 1865), several children, one called Isabella, which could suggest that Mary Ann's mother was called Isabella (or Margaret Isabella and used both names), or else different people called knew her by one name and other people by another (I know several cases).

(2nd marriage to George Ward in 1865, he died in 1866); haven't managed to trace any children.  ???

(3rd marriage to James Robinson, who survived; he was the widower of Hannah Greenwell, who if I understood correctly was killed by Mary Ann; married in 1867): at least one child called George, born 1869. He appears to have survived. There was a William Greenwell Robison from James' first marriage to Hannah, born in 1857.

(4th marriage to Frederick Cotton in 1870, died in 1871); they are listed in the census as living with three sons, but I don't know if they are all Frederick and Mary Ann's or come from previous marriages: Frederick, Charles and Robert.

To the total children we add the illegitimate and mysterious Margaret Edith Quick-Manning Cotton, father unknown, born in Durham prison in 1873, shortly before her mother was hanged (no doubt the hanging was delayed till Mary Ann had given birth; Margaret Edith was born in January 1873, so we presume that Mary Ann became pregnant around March 1872; where was she at the time?

As for the Quick-Mannings, there is a John Q-M who died of smallpox under Mary Ann's charge, but I don't know when.

Can anyone forward the names of the other children? Please, corrections are welcome!

Regards!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline Withnail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi. 
Her family tree is online and can also be found in Tony Whithead's book as well as other books published about her. 

Offline Withnail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
Also ... there is no John Quick Manning ( even with variations in spelling).  No birth or death certificate.  He didn't exist!  Can anyone prove this to be wrong, because I'd love to see it?!